Some advice on active speakers?

IlVasto

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

i was planning to set up a little "entertainment place", but i couldn't find the right speakers.

I'm looking for a pair of active speakers, the woofer shoud be 7" max (i would prefer a 5" one but on the other hand i don't want to sacrifice the bass reproduction too much), i got 250-300 euro (200-240£).

I will use it for films, various type of music, console and maybe a little party sometimes.

Any ideas?

ps. I don't really like the wood-style speakers.

Thaks a lot!! :grin:

IlVasto

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I would prefer 5 "just because they are smaller, as a matter of convenience. More than 7" would be too bulky.

I'll go with 6" . In medio stat virtus.

By the way thanks for all your advice! I checked those speakers and i looked around a little bit. I literally fell in love with the KRK Rokit 6 G3.

I also found out that i shoud buy a pair of speakers with bass reflex because i will put them near the wall.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
IlVasto said:
I would prefer 5 "just because they are smaller, as a matter of convenience. More than 7" would be too bulky.

I'll go with 6" . In medio stat virtus.

By the way thanks for all your advice! I checked those speakers and i looked around a little bit. I literally fell in love with the KRK Rokit 6 G3.

I also found out that i shoud buy a pair of speakers with bass reflex because i will put them near the wall.

Reasonable choice, providing you are happy with the more 'assertive', american style presentation from these speakers.

A more refined, european presentation can be obtained from the Presonus Eris 5, €80-100 cheaper than the Rockits. Just the 5 inch bass driver but despite that a decent, if not staggeringly deep, bass response. A very nicely judged 'bump' at 100hz gives the speaker a little weight, very well balanced at the price.

As the name suggests, the Rockit is pretty impressive on rock material, though overall I think the Eris 5 a more accomplised all round performer.

Get to a music shop and give them a go, they are not that hard to find.

IlVasto

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I am a novice in this world and i didn't now about the KRK characteristic, i definitely prefer a finer sound. I really like the Eris.

What about the RCF Ayra 6? Does anybody know them?

Thanks!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Messiah said:
Take a look at the Epoz Aktimate range. I have the Mini (older version) and find them very good.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/aktimate-mini

I heard the Epoz Maxi, did not think much to them, also they are powered not active. But u can get them cheap.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
IlVasto said:
I am a novice in this world and i didn't now about the KRK characteristic, i definitely prefer a finer sound. I really like the Eris.

Thanks!

Perfectly decent speaker, been around for a while but still current as far as I know. Newer models such as those already mentioned, seem to be more popular, again a little more expensive than the Eris 5, but a bit bigger of course.

This is a very competitive market, a few extra £s, wisely spent will get you a better sound. For example, both the Ayra 6 and the Rockit 6 are priced just over the £300 pound mark, but the Eris 8, a truly capable system can be had for just £375.

You have to draw the line somewhere, as Mason said to Dixon.....!

abacus

As has been mentioned pop down to your local music store and have a listen to a few; however unlike Hi Fi speakers they not designed for aesthetics in the home, so may stick out a bit visually with the rest of the furniture in the room.

Hope this helps

Bill

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
IlVasto said:

Thanks!

I demo'd the Ayra 6 against a number of other actives and found them to be excellent. Really nice balance imo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts