Solution To Multi-User Access

rs6mra

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
I am in the process of burning my music collection to my NAS and it is my intention to then access my music from the NAS using the various PCs in the house.

My understanding from various threads I have read is that iTunes is not designed for multiple user access and I ideally would like a media player that will allow this.

I also wish to maintain the use of the iTunes so as to make things simple for my dear wife and for us to continue to use the ipods.

Can anyone recommend a media player that will enable multi-user access? I am quite happy to have just one PC with iTunes and for mine to run off another platform.

The NAS being used is the Buffalo Linkstation Duo

rs6mra

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
I have been able utilise the home sharing facility by successfully gaining access to the various albums on the different the different PCs via iTunes Home Sharing.

The Albums I have on the NAS show the album artwork on the PC I used to rip the CDs. However they do not on the other PCs unless I access the NAS via my computer and then go into each album and even when I do that it only plays or transfers just the first track to iTunes.

one of my main worries is whether iTunes will then permit access simultaneously as i have read that it is not designed to do .

John Duncan

Do you mean access the same files simultaneously or just the library?

If the former, don't think I've tried it. If the latter, I suspect you're going to have to 'add to library' all the files on the NAS on each machine. Then each will have its own library (with the files all in one place), but I don't see why that shouldn't work.

rs6mra

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Yes i do as there may be instances whereby at least two members of the family will be listening to music at the same time.

I will give it a shot in trying to add library on each machine. However I am unsure as to how i go about doing this. What i tried only resulted in a single track being transferred on the other pcs rather than the album.

Am i right in thinking that i am likely to run out of space soon if the cds are ripped to a lossless format on a 1Tb?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts