Soldering (anyone with experience)

I’ve ordered myself a soldering kit, nothing extravagant, just a basic kit to help with odd bits n bobs. In particular my speakers need a driver replacement and the spade connector is soldered on, I gave it a slight wiggle and the spade connector snapped.
Has anyone got good experience with the soldering iron, and can give me any hints tips and advice before I mess things up any further. 👍

All I recall from building a metal detector at school was 'don't spend any longer than necessary with the thing you are soldering getting hot', and that you were supposed to heat the thing being soldered and then apply the solder to that - it should flow when hot. I think if you stick to the first of those, you are unlikely to make too many mistakes. Famous last words...

As it should - just go into it calm and careful and you'll be fine. For what it's worth, I ignore rule two from my post - getting a bead on the iron itself seems to allow the joint to be made more quickly, but that may just be because I lack the required skill...

Adding the obvious, also make sure that what's directly beneath the bit being soldered is 'expendable' - you don't want molten metal on anything fragile or visible.

EDIT: Is this for the Triangles?

Reactions: bigfish786

Gray

Applying my amatourish skills on 3k speakers makes me slightly nauseous 😂
But, of course, whilst you're soldering it, the spade will be as far away from drivers and cabinet as you can get it.
Take the advice in post #2 from monkey.
Apply solder wire right on the junction of the heated metal and iron tip.

Only other advice:
If the iron falls, don't attempt to catch it 🤬

But, of course, whilst you're soldering it, the spade will be as far away from drivers and cabinet as you can get it.
Take the advice in post #2 from monkey.
Apply solder wire right on the junction of the heated metal and iron tip.

Only other advice:
If the iron falls, don't attempt to catch it 🤬
And don't spend too long sniffing the fumes.... :)
Honestly, make sure room is well ventilated.

As it should - just go into it calm and careful and you'll be fine. For what it's worth, I ignore rule two from my post - getting a bead on the iron itself seems to allow the joint to be made more quickly, but that may just be because I lack the required skill...

Adding the obvious, also make sure that what's directly beneath the bit being soldered is 'expendable' - you don't want molten metal on anything fragile or visible.

EDIT: Is this for the Triangles?

yeah, it’s the triangles. One of the drivers came with a cosmetic flaw so (5 months later) they sent me a replacement. I’m really nervous about damaging the finish on them, so I’ll be covering the speakers in cloth or anything I can find to help.

When I opened them up, I thought that I’d need to desolder (is that a thing) the spade connector off the original driver, and then resolder them back onto the internal speaker wire, but to make things a little easier I’ve ordered a box of spade connectors, then realised they probably weren’t the best as I think they were steel, so I cancelled them and ordered brass ones. So, I’ll need to solder the spades to the speaker cable, and possibly tack a little onto them once joined up. I’m then going to check all the other joins, just to make sure they are all ok.
I will post some pics of the internals and the questionable quality I found in there. 😊👍

Reactions: Al ears
When I opened them up, I thought that I’d need to desolder (is that a thing) the spade connector off the original driver, and then resolder them back onto the internal speaker wire, but to make things a little easier I’ve ordered a box of spade connectors, then realised they probably weren’t the best as I think they were steel, so I cancelled them and ordered brass ones. So, I’ll need to solder the spades to the speaker cable, and possibly tack a little onto them once joined up. I’m then going to check all the other joins, just to make sure they are all ok.
I will post some pics of the internals and the questionable quality I found in there. 😊👍
It is very unusual for a manufacturer to solder their spades into a blade.
Yes you solder the wire to a spade connection but that spade should be a simple slide on connection..

jinglebuddy

May 24, 2022
Visit site
I remember when I attempted soldering for the first time. I had ordered a cheap soldering kit from China. When I got around to trying it, sparks started flying out of it! Safe to say that has been my only attempt at soldering!

Reactions: bigfish786 and Gray
i removed the original driver today and installed the new driver. I didn’t need to solder after all, as I bought some new spade connectors that just needed crimping to the cable inside. I think I’ve also managed to stop the sound deadening foam inside from covering the port.
heres a pic of what 3 grand gets you. Yeah, the port tube has a cardboard tube section glued into it, cheers triangle 😂😂
anyway, its All fixed and sounding fab, 😊
image.jpg

...sourced from only the finest toilet rolls.

I know it probably makes zero difference to the sound quality, and it’s not generally a part you would ever see, but surely they could have stumped up the extra penny and used the same material, or is this an attempt to use recycled materials? Either way, I’ve got poo roll speakers 😂😂

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts