So, how many 3D TVs have been sold so far?

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Im not surprised 3D tv's haven't sold huge amounts, is this partly down to the fact that many small and indepent shops can't afford to stock and showcase them. Even if i wanted one, which i don't at the moment its finding a local stockist.The only two shops likely to get them in my area is ETS and Curry's, which neither had when i last looked.Also Claire the huge rise and popularity for sales of Blu-ray players has doubled like you pointed out, with better budget players being released, but how does the sale of blu-ray films fair at the moment compared to dvds.Last question what about gaming consoles, handheld consoles and mp3 players, any info on sales and the most popular titles. Thanks

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Is it Japan that is the leading nut in tech ? i read something about what they thought of 3D and from statistics only 30% thought they might be interested in 3D.

I think all this web TV is going to take off in a big way and 3D will be left as an option until manufactures decide to drop it due to the extra cost issues

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
landzw:
Is it Japan that is the leading nut in tech ? i read something about what they thought of 3D and from statistics only 30% thought they might be interested in 3D.

I think all this web TV is going to take off in a big way and 3D will be left as an option until manufactures decide to drop it due to the extra cost issues

A

Anonymous

There was very little in the way of 3D TVs in the shops in May - certainly demo stations etc. Given the nature of the tech it would have ramped up more when people could actually see and try it. Not all that surprising. The tech is only going to gain larger traction in 2 or 3 years time when it is simply included in the majority of new sets as a feature they support. Just another tick on the list. It will become difficult to buy a large set which isn't 3D ready in a few years time.

A

Anonymous

landzw:

Agree on Web TV, but 3D is going to become cheaper and cheaper to include as a feature as "standard" tech improves. If you are upping refresh rates and processing power for other reasons it becomes silly not to make the TV "3D Ready" as the majority of the cost is already in there.

Petruchio

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
I love the idea of 3DTV and (sharp intake of breath) want to get one! However, the ones out at present are first gen (eg most of them have the external transmitter for glasses) and I want to wait until one has all the bells and whistles (and doesn't cost the earth). I was really interested in the upcoming 60LX903 from Sony, until I found out that they have increased the pre-order price from £3500 to £4500!

It's way to early to start to try and make anything out of the current sales figures. Once the prices come down and more titles/channels made available it will start to pick up. Eventually 3D will just be another feature on any TV that you can chose to use or not.

A

Anonymous

I went to see Shrek IV in 3D very disapointed again with 3D. Alice in Wonderland was rubbish. The only good(ish) film in 3D was Avatar.

I'm sorry but i just don't get 3D. It's just another gimmick. And not for me.

gar1975

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
i think the real question is, how many people have purchased a 3D TV, because it was a 3D TV, i'm guessing the majority of sales are due to people needing a new TV & it just happens to be 3D...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gar1975:i think the real question is, how many people have purchased a 3D TV, because it was a 3D TV, i'm guessing the majority of sales are due to people needing a new TV & it just happens to be 3D...

I'd agree to some extent, but 3D models have been more expensive so far. I'm guessing a fair few people have thought "what the hell, we might as well be future-proof" when buying 3D TVs, or been sold on the "latest" technology by store clerks.

According to the WHF article, people went nuts buying HD televisions in preparartion for the World Cup. I'd imagine they felt a little sheepish a couple of weeks later; unless, of course, they were Spanish, or German, or Argentinian, and so on...

chris hollands

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Yea, i bought a 3D TV mainly for the 3D... i already had a great 42" Plasma that i have now transferred into the kitchen ! Have been loving 3D games on the playstation . content will follow for movies and of course sky will have a channel dedicated soon that will showcase football and more. It is all to easy for people on a forum to criticise this new technology but i think most of them have either recently replaced there TV and purchased just prior to 3D taking of or cant afford one at the present!! Wait till the prices come down , then everyone will get one ...

A

Anonymous

prices vary so much though , from £860 to £7000 .. if you choose carefully , ie , samsung 50c7000 plasma £1250ish , considering its also said to be a great 2d set , your not really paying that much to have 3d...

A

Anonymous

chris hollands:
Hello Max, you recovered from the bashing you have had this week, ??? cant wait to get the mag today !!
emotion-1.gif

emotion-16.gif

cant buy the mag here in ireland for a few more days yet i think
emotion-9.gif
.. its torture
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:chris hollands:

Hello Max, you recovered from the bashing you have had this week, ??? cant wait to get the mag today !!
emotion-1.gif

emotion-16.gif

cant buy the mag here in ireland for a few more days yet i think
emotion-9.gif
.. its torture
emotion-2.gif

Really Max, was hoping to get it today ??!! Still friends I hope by the way...
emotion-10.gif

A

Anonymous

just phoned the book centre here in waterford ricardo , theyve got em , im heading on in
emotion-11.gif

gar1975

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
strapped for cash:
gar1975:i think the real question is, how many people have purchased a 3D TV, because it was a 3D TV, i'm guessing the majority of sales are due to people needing a new TV & it just happens to be 3D...

I'd agree to some extent, but 3D models have been more expensive so far. I'm guessing a fair few people have thought "what the hell, we might as well be future-proof" when buying 3D TVs, or been sold on the "latest" technology by store clerks.

According to the WHF article, people went nuts buying HD televisions in preparartion for the World Cup. I'd imagine they felt a little sheepish a couple of weeks later; unless, of course, they were Spanish, or German, or Argentinian, and so on...

yeah, my point exactly, its an after thought...

JSM15

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
rocky66:
I went to see Shrek IV in 3D very disapointed again with 3D. Alice in Wonderland was rubbish. The only good(ish) film in 3D was Avatar.

Alice In Wonderland to be fair wasn't filmed in 3D - it went thru a post production conversion process. Same applies to Clash of the Titans. Not seen Shrek 4 yet so can't comment. Avatar was actually filmed in 3D so would expect that to look better than converted 3D.

I don't mind watching 3D movies in the cinema but not much more than a gimmick for home viewing. At the moment anyway....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts