so how did you choose your hifi kit

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
drummerman:plastic penguin:drummerman:

What about the mag staff/freelancers et all? All the choice in the world and I be very surprised they pay full retail? I might be wrong but they must have some good deals, with all them contacts and regular rep visits. I'm not suggesting you're in anybody's pocket by the way. Imagine it actually must be quite difficult to settle for anything with all the new products constantly appearing.

AE, Claire etc?

All the gear I've had over a 30 year period (most s'been brand new) I've never payed full RRP.

Happy for you but I think you know what I meant.

emotion-5.gif

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I started reading the magazine nearly 20 years ago and from 5* and recommendations in the mag i went and auditioned, eventually went for Rotel Amp, Sony CDP, Rega TT, Denon Tuner, and Tannoy speakers.........

I must have done something right as i still have most of this gear
emotion-1.gif

John Duncan

drummerman:
What about the mag staff/freelancers et all? All the choice in the world and I be very surprised they pay full retail? I might be wrong but they must have some good deals, with all them contacts and regular rep visits. I'm not suggesting you're in anybody's pocket by the way. Imagine it actually must be quite difficult to settle for anything with all the new products constantly appearing.

AE, Claire etc?

Well I'm still waiting...

roten

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Well, I bought all my gear based on reviews etc for 20 years, but it was never really there as a perfect set up (pioneer, denon, NAD, dali, B&W etc)

Then sold everything on eBay and bought a similar setup to what I had heard at Bristol show. Now very happy and will keep this for a looooong time (unless a reviewer tries out second hand gear and gives it 5 stars )

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Sounds sublime JD. And you were in a minority of one (of those who replied). And they look way better in the flesh, pic doesn't do justice.

Had a renowned DJ round on Sunday and he loved it.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
dim_span:would love to have a 'healthy' budget and be able to audition new components,so as to set up a totally new system

Be careful what you wish for...it can be a curse to have a healthy budget (as you put it). Check out all the lightly used gear on the internet. Tons of money spent. It's very easy and tempting to keep trying to get another 2% improvement...over...and...over...again...

Take Joel...no really...take him...
emotion-2.gif

John Duncan

JoelSim:
Sounds sublime JD. And you were in a minority of one (of those who replied). And they look way better in the flesh, pic doesn't do justice.

Joel, I could say it looks lovely, I could say it definitely sounds better than mine (without even hearing it), I could say your old stereo was almost certainly better than mine (without even hearing it), I could say that deep down I actually really like top-end Arcam amps...but...but...where would be the fun in that?

And the guide dog line was good, c'mon...
emotion-5.gif

Messiah

I have traditionally bought products based upon reviews and demos but for my ADMs the journey was a little 'different'.

It started when I went to the Bristol Show and heard the Merdian DSP8000 speakers. As far as I am concerned, nothing else even came close to the kind of sound quality these produced. This lead me into thinking why they were so much better. One thought was because they were Active speakers. So, as soon as you start to research active speakers then one brand immediately come up. AVI.

I read a lot on various sites about these speakers and a lot of what Ashley said made sense to me. The craziest thing that finally swung it for me was a video on You Tube! I listened to a demo of these speakers and whilst I understand that this was limited by the system used to listen to the video, they sounded much clearer than other speakers on other videos. Obviously the logic in this is very flawed but I took and punt and could not be happier.

JohnDuncan:JoelSim:

Joel, I could say it looks lovely, I could say it definitely sounds better than mine (without even hearing it), I could say your old stereo was almost certainly better than mine (without even hearing it), I could say that deep down I actually really like top-end Arcam amps...but...but...where would be the fun in that? And the guide dog line was good, c'mon...
emotion-5.gif

Wait a minute (rubbing his eyes in disbelief) TAKE TWO: Is this the moment we have a JD confession about Arcam. Go on, you know you want to.....
emotion-4.gif

T

the record spot

JoelSim:
Lots of research and gut instinct. Coupled with a good deal.

That makes two of us...

A

Anonymous

for the nad/b&w kit took advice from a couple of friends and then went for a demo (it was between that and CA kit which i didn't like the look of)

upgraded the speakers to pro-ac based on reviews and a demo (worked for a hifi company at the time and the only speakers i was interesed in were still out of budget dispite discount)

when i upgraded the nad kit i called pro-ac and asked what they suggsted. Got the suggestion of Naim and Primare - Naim won, but only lasted 6 months as the g/f didnt like the sound.

Decided on Moon as i liked the look, name, and Canadian-ness (not sure why this mattered) had demo and loved them.

Rega p3-24 - reviews and a gyro se was just too much! Demo sounded ok, but trusted my gut instinct and bought it anyhow.

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
andrewknight:I saw my speakers in a shop and thought "square drivers? Madness!", I then saw the ES tag and the price so took a gamble. Liked the look of my amp, knew the reputation and got a good trade on my previous amp. Saw my cdp and felt it had potential for modding as well as a look I could live with. Not scientific in anyway but I've been playing with hifi for many years and feel I know enough to gamble occasionally. The only big mistake I've made was buying some CA gear a while ago.

Ah.... Sony Advanced Piston Motion Speakers

hifi2.jpg

TRENDING THREADS