Question Smoothen harshness

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

shadders

he said it helped out "a bit", otherwise he wouldn't be asking here for help. In my experience, the pre-amp is at least as responsible for shaping the sound as the power amp, even more so. One can easily spot the difference between a Nac 202 and 282 feeding the same power amp. In any case, for the OP I'd look at either replacing both pre and power with a sh Arcam FMJ A39 or A49. I would suggest a Naim Nap 200 otherwise, but I'm pretty sure the pre is mostly at fault here. Unless OP can try one for free, since they should be available within budget on the SH market nowadays.
Hi,
I checked the pre on Audio Science Review - they have a review of it, and the performance is exemplary - if anything, it is transparent.

As per later posts, the room equalisation solved the issue.

Regards,
Shadders.

DriedFartz

Aug 13, 2022
Visit site
However, with respect, no Dirac, Shirac or any other signal processing is going to remove the confusing reflections caused by acres of hard bareness.
Yes. Flutter echoes and such cannot be negated with DSP. I did eventually add a carpet in front of the speakers.

The brain works wonders to reduce the confusion - but it takes effort, it's fatiguing. Without so much reverberation, you get a focussed sound with no effort.

I agree.

Room treatment is a boring subject, often impractical undesirable and costly.
But, ignore it at your peril.

REW has shown me the problem areas, I'm going to work toward sucking out the nulls. It's great to have a measurement device, makes it that much easier to treat the room.

Reactions: Gray
A bit late to the party again and using this thread to promote speakers you happen to stock when the OP seems to have sorted problem, see post #43, is not a good idea...
Just stating (to someone who isn’t the OP) and to help others with potential room acoustic problems that these speakers can help. Problem is, the internet is full of people who believe what they read, and much of what is written is posted purely for financial gain or based on insufficient knowledge. Unless the fact that certain loudspeaker brands have been designed to work in awkward rooms gets out there, people will just believe they have to purely rely on room treatment, or even worse, digital room correction.

I’ve been on these forums since about 2004. If I’m going to get moderated based on the fact I have my own business, then how can I take part in any audio discussions? If someone says they have HF reflection issues, I can A/ make something up about something I don’t know, B/ recommend digital room correction (which should be a last resort), or C/ recommend something I know works. Maybe I should start a music thread and boost it several times a day to stay at the top of the section? My forum name isn’t even my business name, so how am I the spammy one? I’ve always been here to help people, and if I can’t do that, what am I doing here?

Reactions: WayneKerr
Just stating (to someone who isn’t the OP) and to help others with potential room acoustic problems that these speakers can help. Problem is, the internet is full of people who believe what they read, and much of what is written is posted purely for financial gain or based on insufficient knowledge. Unless the fact that certain loudspeaker brands have been designed to work in awkward rooms gets out there, people will just believe they have to purely rely on room treatment, or even worse, digital room correction.

I’ve been on these forums since about 2004. If I’m going to get moderated based on the fact I have my own business, then how can I take part in any audio discussions? If someone says they have HF reflection issues, I can A/ make something up about something I don’t know, B/ recommend digital room correction (which should be a last resort), or C/ recommend something I know works. Maybe I should start a music thread and boost it several times a day to stay at the top of the section? My forum name isn’t even my business name, so how am I the spammy one? I’ve always been here to help people, and if I can’t do that, what am I doing here?
Perhaps because your business name (website) is very prominently displayed whenever you post?
if it was removed there may not be so much of an issue.

rainsoothe

Hi,
I checked the pre on Audio Science Review - they have a review of it, and the performance is exemplary - if anything, it is transparent.

As per later posts, the room equalisation solved the issue.

Regards,
Shadders.
ASR (and all reviews, for that matter, but only ASR and their drones consider the numbers the only thing to go by) only matters as reference or documentation, as Amir doesn't have the OP 's room, hearing and preferences. Not everyone is looking for ultimate transparency - I'd actually wager that most don't!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts