Smartphone for Spotify

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I was just looking at the windows smartphone forum, but it seems pretty muribund, barely a handfull of posts this year!

Since my question is really a hi-fi one, I thought I would post it here.

I use an iPod Nano for the gym. I train 4 times a week and what I really want to do is to be able to use Spotify Offline, I have Premium, with regularly refreshed music.

My thoughts is to buy a Nokia 520, currently very cheap, to use as an iPod substitute, ie use the Windows Spotify App to down load about 10 albums then listen 'offline' in the gym. Simple as that and nothing else much matters, so.......

Will the Windows app allow me to do that?

Will it run smoothly on something as basic as a 520?

Will the 520 drive my (relatively undemanding) Soundmagic E10 in ear phones?

Can I expect a sound quality comparable to my Nano?

Anyone any good at this sort of stuff?

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Hallo Dave,

I have a Lumia 920 which is more high end than the 520. The Spotify app for Windows Phone is excellent. The processor of the 520 shouldn't slow down the performance of the app. By the way, a more active forum is on the wpcentral.com website.

I can't commend on the sound quality of the 520. The 920 sounds excellent though. As an operating system I like Windows Phone much better than Android.

Kind regards,

Peter

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Peter Kudelstaart said:
Hallo Dave,

I have a Lumia 920 which is more high end than the 520. The Spotify app for Windows Phone is excellent. The processor of the 520 shouldn't slow down the performance of the app. By the way, a more active forum is on the wpcentral.com website.

I can't commend on the sound quality of the 520. The 920 sounds excellent though. As an operating system I like Windows Phone much better than Android.

Kind regards,

Peter

Thank you, I will take a look at your link later when I have some time....... :cheers:

John Duncan

My son has a 520 (he originally wanted a Nano until he found out he couldn't have Spotify and I haven't heard any complaints. I haven't used it myself though so don't know if there are any glitches in operation or what sound quality is like (Phones Sound Different). I myself would not choose a windows phone yet though because of the paucity of apps - I would stick with iOS or Android; I am once again eyeing the Moto G now that it has 4G and an SD slot, but am not clear yet whether Spotify storage can be assigned to the card instead of internal only.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
My son has a 520 (he originally wanted a Nano until he found out he couldn't have Spotify and I haven't heard any complaints. I haven't used it myself though so don't know if there are any glitches in operation or what sound quality is like (Phones Sound Different). I myself would not choose a windows phone yet though because of the paucity of apps - I would stick with iOS or Android; I am once again eyeing the Moto G now that it has 4G and an SD slot, but am not clear yet whether Spotify storage can be assigned to the card instead of internal only.

Thank you John, any chance you could give it a listen at some point?..... :pray:

The obvious issues, lack of Apps, memory etc should not really bother me, so long as I can down load 10-12 albums I shall be happy, I will be refreshing the music every few weeks anyway.

It is really about the functionality, does the 'Offline' mode work ok for example? Does it support 'Premium' quality levels? It's this sort of stuff I can not get an answer to, the phone shops have not got a clue, they avoid the questions and just tell me about loads of sh!t I am not interested in.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I know the offline works, but haven't checked that various quality rates are theye or that sound quality is up tonpar; will check tonight if you can wait.

No problem, thats very kind...... :cheers:

T

the record spot

I use Premium, and the interface is very good but could be better for some things. Sound quality can be adjusted in settings - mine is set to Extreme for highest quality as I've an Unlimited data package with 3. The phone is a Sony Xperia Z1 Compact on the latest Android release. The sound is good but needs to be tweaked to get the best of it for my ears. I wouldn't say it has the best audio I've heard compared to my third generation ipod Touch. Otherwise though, an excellent smartphone, ace battery life, 21mp camera, and worth the extra for sim-free (around £350).

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:
I use Premium, and the interface is very good but could be better for some things. Sound quality can be adjusted in settings - mine is set to Extreme for highest quality as I've an Unlimited data package with 3. The phone is a Sony Xperia Z1 Compact on the latest Android release. The sound is good but needs to be tweaked to get the best of it for my ears. I wouldn't say it has the best audio I've heard compared to my third generation ipod Touch. Otherwise though, an excellent smartphone, ace battery life, 21mp camera, and worth the extra for sim-free (around £350).

Thanks RS.

The point of this exercise is to find a cheap solution. In effect the only important use is as a iPod substitute, I am trying to be a cheapskate here, it is only for use in the gym.

I use Mrs DDC's iPad with a Fiio amplifier for portable use, only once or twice a year on holidays. This works beautifully but is way too big and expensive for the gym, as for the latest iPod Touch, I baulk at £200 for something that is going to get knocked about during a workout.

So I am trying to duplicate the performance and functionality of the Touch for playing music at a fraction of the price, all the other functions are unimportant.

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
the record spot said:

Thanks RS.

The point of this exercise is to find a cheap solution. In effect the only important use is as a iPod substitute, I am trying to be a cheapskate here, it is only for use in the gym.

So be prepared for some crap sound, becouse Nokia sound crap (lol it was a censored C. R. A. P. I own many phone and one 520 too, this is good good just for battery life in calls and quick e-mail then for a music/hi-fi lover is kinda trash IMHO. The only phones that sound acceptable to my ears with a decent pair of earphones, even the cheapest Xperia series, are Sony phones for example an old X10. Then I own a Z1 and even a brand new Z2 and they both are the most competent phones to music I ever owned.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
the record spot said:

Thanks RS.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FC544BT/A/refurbished-ipod-touch-32gb-black

http://www.iphonejoshibu.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/002l-17.jpg or similar.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Overdose said:
davedotco said:
the record spot said:

Thanks RS.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FC544BT/A/refurbished-ipod-touch-32gb-black

http://www.iphonejoshibu.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/002l-17.jpg or similar.

It was trying to buy the refurb iPod that started me on this quest.

The 16GB version is supposedly just £99, ample for my application but the refurb store never seems to have any in stock, I have been trying most mornings for a couple of weeks........ :cry:

I was getting annoyed, hence my quest for an alternative that I could actually buy.

I hate the arm band thing though, a belt clip would be much preferred.

SQ wise I am really not sure, this is for the gym, I only plan to use cheapish ear buds, currently the Soundmagic E10, the Nano that I have sounds absolutely fine but of course does not do the Spotify thing.

TRENDING THREADS