Smart TV security concerns

markyd

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Sadly the time has come to replace my trusty Panasonic plasma TV.

Since I purchased my set over 10 years ago there have been many technological developments integrated into sets - whether you want them or not. As an individual who cares about the erosion of privacy, smart sets all appear to have 3rd party big tech features integrated into the software.

As I have no desire to use face or voice recognition technologies, I would like to disable the most invasive of the onboard surveillance devices - the TV's microphone and camera. The camera, I assume will be possible to physically disable using a piece of electrical tape - but what about the mic? Are these generally integrated into the remote handset? Can you fully disable them in software?

I appreciate many people do not care about the use of these technologies and might view those that do as paranoid. My research leads me to the conclusion it's best to exercise caution. Any suggestions or reccomendations that might help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

abacus

If you have no interest in using Alexa etc. Don’t connect the TV to the internet and use a smart box/stick if you want to use smart streaming services, (NOTE: Worthwhile connecting to the internet on first purchase to check for updates and then disconnecting when done) then you won’t have to worry about it.

Bill

Reactions: 12th Monkey

markyd

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
If you have no interest in using Alexa etc. Don’t connect the TV to the internet and use a smart box/stick if you want to use smart streaming services, (NOTE: Worthwhile connecting to the internet on first purchase to check for updates and then disconnecting when done) then you won’t have to worry about it.

Bill

While I have no interest in Alexa of Google services, is it possible to run a TV without it connected to the internet in 2021? Honestly, I don't know how they work these days.

Non-connection would be possible for me as I have a freesat box that still works (though its days are numbered) and a first gen Nvidia Shield for Netflix and streaming (That had a lot of default rubbish to disable - including replacing the remote) .

So does the TV's connection to the internet automatically mean you agree to be subject to all privacy compromises, with no opting out?

It sounds like as well as following the sound advice above, you should search for the manual online for the model that you consider. It may be that these can be disabled. I'm not sure that they all have cameras - I don't think mine does but have never looked. Do the microphones tend to be in the remote?

EDIT: a quick Google suggests that many smart TVs (including most LGs) do not have cameras, and the microphones tend to be in the remote, for proximity, I suppose.

Gray

I appreciate many people do not care about the use of these technologies and might view those that do as paranoid.
I care. And I don't regard you as unduly paranoid.
People need to be wary of 'smart' devices in general.

My brother was in his car, discussing with his partner, the possibility of buying a new car - when they heard a voice say, "hello"...
His hands-free phone had taken it upon itself to dial a random car dealer!
Some would say there's nothing wrong with that. I say there's everything wrong with it.

The default position should be that consumers need to actively opt in to such things - they should not need to go to any effort to fully opt out.

I care. And I don't regard you as unduly paranoid.
People need to be wary of 'smart' devices in general.

My brother was in his car, discussing with his partner, the possibility of buying a new car - when they heard a voice say, "hello"...
His hands-free phone had taken it upon itself to dial a random car dealer!
Some would say there's nothing wrong with that. I say there's everything wrong with it.

The default position should be that consumers need to actively opt in to such things - they should not need to go to any effort to fully opt out.
This doesn't normally happen, unless the smart assistant mistook some of the words as instructions to call the dealer.

Gray

This doesn't normally happen, unless the smart assistant mistook some of the words as instructions to call the dealer.
With respect BB, I don't care how or why it shouldn't have happened.
But, given the choice I'd prefer not to live in a world where it can.

Funny thing is, with CCTV, mics are forbidden to prevent conversation being picked up.
(Welcome to the modern world :confused_old:).

Many thanks for confirming.

I've been looking at an LG C1, which having downloaded the manual doesn't appear to have a camera, but does have an AI driven 'magic' remote :unsure:

The 'pointer' aspect of this is unpleasant to use I find, but I have a learning remote so avoid that. The manual suggests that the microphone won't work without certain settings being enabled, and that it only works when you have pressed the microphone button. I've never done that, and nothing has happened that suggests to me that I have been eavesdropped on.

Miichael

Oct 12, 2021
Visit site
I appreciate many people do not care about the use of these technologies and might view those that do as paranoid. My research leads me to the conclusion it's best to exercise caution. Any suggestions or reccomendations that might help would be much appreciated.

I’m with you 100%, I am completely dismayed by all sets being “Smart TVs”. I would suggest doing what I do with my TV (actually a “dumb” set from 2012, but still going strong), and only using a service you trust (or trust more) to pipe your TV.
Apple & Microsoft, whilst no doubt still tracking what you are doing, don’t have the same interests in profiling you for advertising and selling your details that the likes of Google do.

TRENDING THREADS