Help with getting a new network/music/TV sound system

deeve

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I’m a first time poster, and thought I’d post to see if other forum members can help find a solution to my problem. Admittedly half the problem is that I just don’t know enough about exactly what I need or what exactly everything does! I’m not sure which section to post this in, but i landed on here.

I’ve just moved into a new flat. When I lived in my last place I had a separates system, but wanted to upgrade what was a basic setup, so sold it. I also had a Bose iPhone dock, which I also sold.

I want to host all my media in one place in the flat, and then run video, music and photos from there to the output devices. I’d ideally like to be able to play music and sound from the TV, films from the NAS and Bluray through the same system. I don’t want to have different sets of speakers for different devices. I’m overly keen on having loads of speakers, perhaps just a pair of bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer.

I had looked at the Q Acoustics 2000i 5.1 Cinema Package, but in gloss white it might be a little out of my current price range. Maybe just a pair of Q Acoustics 2020i’s placed either side of the TV, and then add the subwoofer, centre speaker at a later date? Maybe just the Denon mini system and speakers to start with then buy a bigger set up later, but does this cover everything I need it to?

Here are the current items I have…

Samsung 46in TV

Samsung Bluray player

WDTV Live

Virgin Media (with 100mb fibre)

Synology DS 212 6tb NAS & Media server

I’ll be mainly only playing music in the lounge, but on occasion in the bedroom. So maybe an amp that has Airplay? That’s not essential though. My lounge isn’t massive 8mx4.5m, with wood floors and a relatively low roof. Not too much space to fill.

I’m working to a couple of budget options, £500 and £1000. I would ideally like to be able to add and upgrade parts of the system as I have money too.
What do people suggest?

Another couple of areas I’m not on top of are…

What’s the most important part of this setup? Amp?

Do I need to get speakers that cost the same as the amp so they’re in the same range?

Is it an amp I need or an amp receiver? Or do I need both?

Do I need to buy the premium £30+ cable interconnects?

My music is currently stored on iTunes, mainly because I use an iPhone. Is there better software I could use? I have an iPad mini too, but don’t really use it to play music.

Oh, I have a Logitech Harmony remote which I love and would like to be able to use this with any amps or devices I get.

Has this given enough info? Or too much!

Thanks for any replies!
smile.gif

abacus

There are a multitude of options, which depending on features may make some of your suggestions redundant.

Contact your local dealer, explain what you want (And how much you wish to spend) and arrange a demo, then buy the combination that suits you.

Hope this helps

Bill

TRENDING THREADS