Small speakers for Solo?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Wonder if anyone has any recommendations? I'm looking for some good quality speakers to match with an Arcam Solo. And unfortunately they need to be wall mounted..

I've listened to Linn Katan, Totem mini mites, Dynaudio 42s, Spendor s35r's, new Spendore SA1's..

They all sounded pretty good, but the new SA1's sounded just great, which I guess may be expected based on the quality/ price..

My question is, is this overkill?!

John Duncan

No. You can never spend too much on a loudspeaker, to my mind.

If it's just too much for you from a price point of view (I infer that it's not from a sound perspective), then working backwards from the SA1 you could also look at (my personal fave) the ProAc Tablette Reference 8 Signature (which JoelSim has wall-mounted on the end of an - admittedly higher-powered - Arcam system to reportedly great effect), the non-signature version of the same, the PMC DB1i (DB = Dinky Box - I kid you not), and the AVI Neutron IV, a seriously lovely, tiny little thing which even AVI have wall-mounted in their literature.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
IMHO,
emotion-21.gif
to the dinky PMCs.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys - it was more of a question of whether these speakers would be overkill for the solo performance wise..

Really appreciate your advice and I'll take a look at your recommendations..

A

Anonymous

I heard some Monitor Audio GS10 s with a SOLO and they sounded ace. Perhaps a bit big tho...jules.

A

Anonymous

Cheers. The chaps at Spendor have been very good with advice on wall mounting too..

A

Anonymous

Rather than worrying if this is overkill for your current electronics, think about the fact that they're great speakers and can be used with different electronics in the future and not sound out of place. If you have the cash lying about now, go for it and your speakers will be future proofed...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I'd choose B&W CM1's. The slightly forward mids, solid bass and good treble complement the solos mildly laid back sound and lack of detail. Would'nt spend more on speakers in this instance unless you're planning to upgrade to better separates.

A

Anonymous

JD's right. You can never spend too much, it's the most important bit. And westflower also is equally also right. If you spend it now you won't be replacing them anytime soon. Don't worry about overkill... I know I'm upping the price ante again here but the Harbeth P3ES-2 would be a good thing to hear if you like the Spendor.

A

Anonymous

Spendor SA1 are very nice indeed but be warned that they need a good wack of power to sound like they should. Not convinced that the Solo has enough but that's only a generalisation. The baby PMCs would probably be a good match but def get the best you can afford!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts