Small-ish speakers for a second system

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Following on from Dave’s “Too much speaker thread”. I’m thinking about setting up a second system which by necessity would mean smaller speakers, tucked into the room corners. I have an old Audiolab 8000s in the attic. Any thoughts on a standmount that would work with the Audiolab in a 4x4m room, plastered walls and wood floor? Budget up to a grand, and I’m always good for a second hand set.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

insider9

How serious listening are you planning to do with it being a second setup? Also are you only considering brand new or would you consider second hand? Also what's the source?

Often for a second setup a convenient pair of Sonos or other small actives might just be enough.

‘Solid wall’ corners?

In reflective rooms, I’ve usually found Amphion and KEF to work better. In a room that is very similar size to yours, I found the Amphion Argon 0 to work really well, and only around 6” from the solid back wall. These were the speakers that were on demonstration in the Auden Distribution room at the Bristol Show, along with a Hegel Rost amplifier. The Amphion speakers reduce reflections, allowing you to hear more of the speaker and less of the room.

If you want a used leftfield suggestion, try a pair of Jim Rogers JR149s which I’m currently using at home.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for responding insider.

Room used to be the “kids den” but I’m retasking it to a man cave, now they have flown the coop. Sources - I’ll probably put my Project deck (has built in phono stage) and a streamer in there so I can play off my NAS. Bluesound streamer of similar, something Spotify capable to boot. New or used are both good for me.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
And thought they were pretty good.

Solid wall corners it is, either side of a window.

JR149s? Ha! Never owned a pair, but certainly brings back the memories. Grand little fellas.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Think Cno mentioned Spendor, found these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPENDOR-S3-5R2-SPEAKERS-BRAND-NEW-FACTORY-SEALED-HARBETH/152925126284?hash=item239b0c3e8c:g:FJIAAOSwZFdablIi

Good find Mac.

I loved these speakers and would have bought a pair, only they were lost in the big room where I was going to put them. They are perfect for a small room, where they have reasonable scale.

They are one of the most musically engaging speakers I have had the pleasure to hear. IMO. At just over half their original price, they are worth considering.

I pretty much agree with this review: https://www.whathifi.com/spendor/sa1/review

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts