Small floorstander

tansriloi

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I am looking for a small floorstand speaker for music and movies. Room size is 3m x 3.3m. My budget is £300 and under. Saw the Tannoy eclipse 3 had a great review recently. Wondering how the eclipse 2 fair? Anybody heard the eclipse 2? Any suggestions? I don't want a bookshelf speakers, need to factor in stands.

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I can only echo the wise suggestion of the others. The best thing you can do is to go and have a listening test in the shop. In my experience, there is a significant difference between the reviews and the reality, which may influence your decision after 2 minutes :)

tansriloi

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi there, I'm going to buy blind as there is no reseller in my area. If I am buying the speakers. It will be send by a courier from other states. Pretty suck but I'm living in Perth, Australia.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Q-Acoustics have something around that price don't they? Not sure if they still sell the older model, the newer ones have taken a jump up in price.

Peronally if I where in the market for compact floorstanders in that price bracket I'd go for a pair of used Acoustic Energy AE109 and give them a fresh wrap, should come in well under buget and they are great fun speakers with incredibly tight upper bass.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I think you will find Aussie prices are a bit different from UK prices, I understand hifi in Australia is more expensive than the UK, not surprising with the shipping and small market. Best to check out prices online in OZ and then revert back. In that room size I would go for standmounts but I'm not a fan of budget floorstanders.

There's a lot of compromises in a budget Floorstanding speaker.I wouldnt bother,especially as your listening room isn't that big,it really doesn't require a floorstander to fill a room that size.A good quality second hand standmount would be best bang for buck,if you can find any in your neck of the woods.

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
tansriloi said:
Hi there, I'm going to buy blind as there is no reseller in my area. If I am buying the speakers. It will be send by a courier from other states. Pretty suck but I'm living in Perth, Australia.

And a visit to West Coast HiFi? Or Douglas HiFi?

I won't buy blind and take time to audition in some way. Far better than our suggestions.....

tansriloi

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
I recently read that the Dali Mentor Menuet is a very tiny but awesome speakers. Possible I want to get that instead. Anyone heard the Menuets in real life. Hope you can share some insights. I'm currently looking for a reseller so In the meantime just I want to hear from anyone that had a chance to listened to it.

robhifi

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
My room is similar to yours in size.

My advice is getting a pair of mini monitors instead of compact floorstanders.

Your room would very easily run into problems with floorstandrs especially sub $300 ones.

In your small room, a pair of good bookshelf will give you everything that similar priced floorstanders will.

rainsoothe

robhifi said:
My room is similar to yours in size.

My advice is getting a pair of mini monitors instead of compact floorstanders.

Your room would very easily run into problems with floorstandrs especially sub $300 ones.

In your small room, a pair of good bookshelf will give you everything that similar priced floorstanders will.

+1

TRENDING THREADS