Small Children & Speakers - Any Advice?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
We had twins. All you lot who have them one at a time are just rank amateurs.

Nothing serious or expensive ever got broke. How?

First, remove temptation where possible so you're not spending all you life telling them 'no' and 'don't touch' or else they quickly become desensitized to it. For the few things that you can't move, teach them that no means no. But also shw them love. Befriend them, build a relationship with them (even when they're toddlers) and have fun with them so that they don't want to do things that upset you, though trust me they'll see how far they can push you, to work out where the boundaries are.

And if all else fails then as a final last resort, following up a final warning with a quick slap on the hand or slap on the bum never did my two any harm. They usually ran off crying out of shock and embarrasment than anything else. Probably I only needed to do it about four times, ever, as did Mrs Fubar. And if anyone has issues differentiating between that and ritualistic child abuse, well that's your problem not mine. I have a fantastic relationship with my 12 year old boys which is the envy of many people I know who have children the same age. These people dread school holidays and have already got fed up of the sight of their uncontrollable, foulmouthed, misbehaving little spawns within an hour of them coming home from school. So Mrs Fubar and I have certainly done something right that they haven't.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
fr0g said:
Sturdy blutack, a strong word here and there.

Blu-Tack is nowhere near strong enough to restrain them.

Unless we're talking cubic metres of Blutack... But that might get very expensive! And you need tubes to keep them breathing. Chris' suggestion (granite & superglue) is better VFM, IMO.

Neptune_Twilight

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
We had twins. All you lot who have them one at a time are just rank amateurs.

Nothing serious or expensive ever got broke. How?

We had 3 children under 5 at one point with Castle Clyde's as I remember on stands, my hif-fi was in an open rack, as I remember it was never difficult to teach them that some things were not toys - they were allowed to use the gear properly & they saw it as a privilege - This seems to have been passed on as recently my young granddaughter told her other grandmother sternly that you put your finger through a DVD centre & put it back in the case & she is two & a half & not to leave it on the floor - They will learn quickly to respect things yet still have fun growing up, teaching children boundaries is essential for a childs wellbeing - I grew up with Ferrograph/Revox reel to reel's & Vortexian amp's etc & home made speakers with fragile paper cones visible. My father taught me to splice tapes at 3 & have a recording of me helping him 50 odd years ago. Hiding items from children IMO is never the way to go they will respect what you respect, as I said my youngest son has KEF floorstanders with the metal domes intact with a two & a half year old.

DCC

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi -

Thanks to everyone for sharing laughs, warnings, advice, and good cheer. I've read ever word of every post. I've tried to reply but keep getting spam filtered....frustrating.

I feel informed now for certain, thank you.

FYI I'm looking forward to becoming a father for sure.

T

the record spot

fr0g said:
I have two kids,,now 4 and 8. Never been a problem.

I have never had anything "pushed in" or anything fall.

Sturdy blutack, a strong word here and there. That's it. I never understand the problem,

Obviously you keep grilles "on"... Otherwise you are asking for trouble.

Never even needed a strong word in my case Frog, the kids come and go and are fine. I think a lot is made of this but in practice most don't experience a problem. Oh and the photo to the left is one of my DC4s and that's how they are all the time! Much more interesting to look at it!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts