Small AV Amps - revisited

scene

Ho hum.

A while back I started a thread about small AV amps (here) as I was looking for a small amp to go in my dining room (3.7 x 3.4 m), especially as Mrs. Scene didn't want any big bulky amp in there. To cut a long story short, the most discreet amp suggested was the Marantz NR1601/2, but I ended up going with the Yamaha RXV667 (as it was quite small and cheap and cash was tight).

However, now Mrs. S. has said that she wants the "amp to fit on a corner shelf" :doh: and that the Yammy is way too big, even the Marantz is too big. She thinking of something the size of a Sonos ZP120 :O and frankly I'm a bit stumped... IS there an amp that small, is there another solution. I can see my dream of second room surround sound Nirvanah slipping away...

Help!

Something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/SHERWOOD-R-904NW-NETBOXX-100-Watt-Surround/dp/B003HFZADC/ref=sr_1_18?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1328432025&sr=1-18&tag=5336055023-20

Not available in UK though.

Does it have to be 5.1 channel, & what's your budget?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Pre-empting her next request for an invisible AV amp, just go straight to these Sony digital headphones. They're actually better than you'd think, especially with Blu-ray HD soundtracks :)

DS7500%282%29.jpg

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Wasn't there a quite compact Harmon Kardon combined BD player/ receiver reviewed faily recently?

I'm sure someone will chime in with a model number.

scene

bigboss said:
Something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/SHERWOOD-R-904NW-NETBOXX-100-Watt-Surround/dp/B003HFZADC/ref=sr_1_18?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1328432025&sr=1-18&tag=5336055023-20

Not available in UK though.

Does it have to be 5.1 channel, & what's your budget?

Thanks bb - 5.1 yes. The Sherwood is nice, but still too wide for m'lady's tastes...

Budget, if the ZP120 (sorry: Sonos Amp) is in price range - I'm guessing I can swing £500ish...

... But I'm sure for a truly small amp I can charm more money.

scene

Clare Newsome said:
Pre-empting her next request for an invisible AV amp, just go straight to these Sony digital headphones. They're actually better than you'd think, especially with Blu-ray HD soundtracks :)

DS7500%282%29.jpg

Ho hum - not such a mad idea, if the speakers weren't already in place with the cable routed... :doh:

scene

Paul Hobbs said:
Are any of the home cinema in a box solutions any good yet? If you can hide the amps in the sub and have a compact processor, that should be ideal.

Also, is this thing any good? Even the processor is hiden in the sub...
ONKYO HTX22HDX & SKS22X

15578_1_.jpg

Actually, that's really interesting...

I've already got the speakers in place - my old KHT2005.2 system, and the sub's broken...

Could this run the eggs (I've checked the back and it looks like its got clips for cable), and I could buy the cheaper 2.1 version and just use the Kefs...

:?

scene

I like the look of the onkyo and totally failed to think of home cinema in a box solutions - thanks ph.

However, not sure if the rated 25W into 6 ohms per channel is enough to drive my existing kef eggs. Leaves me with a conundrum, do I try the amp with the eggs, sell the eggs and get the full 5.1 onkyo solution, but will that be enough to fill the room, or get a bigger one box solution; but then I may end up paying for 5 speakers I don't use... :?

scene

Paul Hobbs said:
I have no idea if they are any good unfortunately, just saw them mentioned on another thread and thought they were interesting.

Thanks for that. I did have a look online and they've got some ok reviews. Still worried about it's grunt as 25w into 6 ohms seems a bit weedy...

scene

Been performing a bit of a search, and been investigating the possibility of getting a Pioneer htp-fs510. This is a 2.1 system, with all the amplification and processing in the sub-unit (bit like a Bose, I suppose). I was thinking as this produces 100W RMS into 4 ohms per channel, that I could use this with my existing Kef eggs.

Has anyone got any experience of this product? How good is it and will it drive the eggs?

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
am i allowed to say:pray: "please let me know when you decide to give you're RX-V667 away for :beer: Tokens cause i have heard its a great place at the dock of the bay"

darrell

scene

I think you're allowed to say it, not so sure what the mods might think ;)

I am thinking of trying the Yamaha in the avr250's place, then who knows, maybe it'll be the arcam heading out :?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts