Slam vs punch vs extension

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Whats the difference between slam and punch? Extension seems fairly obvious to me but I can't put my finger on what the difference is between the other two.

Also why is is hard to get all three (saw this noted on a topic a while back about £800 amps)?

Thanks for any responses xx

A

Anonymous

I reckon these words probably mean different things to different people. One probably means powerful sub-bass (30-60 Hz) and the other upper bass to lower mids, but I'm not sure which. I'd sooner look at tech specs than read opinions about 'slam' and 'punch' any day.

T

the record spot

Yep, agreed, the words don't mean a whole lot. One of the terms that annoyed me in the late 90s when the magazine started talking about things like "bass slam" and "software"...drove me up the wall!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
These terms are usually (but not always) used to describe subwoofers and are inter-related

Here is my take on it:

Slam.......Force with which you hear a sound (visceral effect)

Punch......How "tight" and punchy the slam is.

Extension..How low it goes.

Cno

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre said:
DIB said:
Andrew Everard said:

That is amazing. Cheers.

Cheer for that Andrew - cracking stuff.

In fact I carried on listening to Disc 2 all the way through. What fantastic musicians they all are. I've never heard of him / them before. I love well recorded live recordings and this is very well recorded. I'm going to order it!

A

Anonymous

I'm not an English native speaker, however based on magazines reviews I concluded the following:

- Extension is related to low end bass extension, ie, the lowest bass response which equipment can achieve.

- Punch refers to weight of the bass lines

- Slam is regarded to timing and macro dynamics. However, I saw articles where punch and slam are used to mean the same.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts