SKYHD ~HDMI to ~ TV

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
If I got SKY HD and connected to my TV via HDMI am I likely to get Lip Synch distortion.

I currently have a standard SKY Digibox which is connected via a great little £30 Diamond Scart Cable and I get great SD pictures and no problem with Lip Synch at all. I just want to make sure that if now get HD a miracle doesn't happen

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
Shouldn't be a problem - the Sky HD box has adjustable delay on its optical digital output to sort this.

[/quote]

Thanks Old Bean.

But the Optical output's only if I want to connect to an AVR isn't it?

If I just use HDMI-one that is-between the HD box and the TV things should be OK? bearing in mind I won't be getting/using an AVR and just relying on the TV to do its stuff instead.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, the optical's only for connection to a receiver. There isn't a lip-synch adjustment on the HDMI output, but it should be fine. I've never had to use the lip-synch adjustment on my Sky HD box, although some channels do have some wonky synchronisation from time to time on the odd programme.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Lip synch was a problem recently on SKY HD 1 movie channel. Every other HD channel was fine, only the one I wanted to watch was 'wonky'. I later switched over to watch Grease and the same thing happened again. Is it a regular occurrence?

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

It's amazing how many threads I've read , not just on this forum, regarding Lip Synch problems. You would have thought given this golden age of HD technology that Broadcasters. Flim Studios and DVD Player manufacturers would have addressed this problem, about which they muct be fully aware, before getting evryone to buy their products. I mean, it's not an insurmountable problem to oovercome surely without us conumers needing to buy add-on electronics to resolve such problems?

It's actually quite scary: Forums like this are jam packed with people who have problems with the stuff the've bought.........that's should tell us all something........shouldn't it?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, the latest versions of HDMI do provide for automatic lip-synch adjustment when compatible equipment is used, but it's really more of a problem now due to the amount of video processing involved in modern systems.

By comparison with all the video computation going on in DVD player and TV, digital audio output and decoding is just too fast - something never thought of when the likes of the Sony receiver mentioned in the other current DVD-1940-related lipsynch thread here were developed.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

Well, the latest versions of HDMI do provide for automatic lip-synch adjustment when compatible equipment is used, but it's really more of a problem now due to the amount of video processing involved in modern systems.

By comparison with all the video computation going on in DVD player and TV, digital audio output and decoding is just too fast - something never thought of when the likes of the Sony receiver mentioned in the other current DVD-1940-related lipsynch thread here were developed.

[/quote]

Andrew, isn't the SKYHD box a 1.3HDMI one and if so will that be OK with 1.2HDMI TV?
I know you said to me in another thread that my 1.1HMDI Denon DVD 1940 is OK with the 1.2HDMI TV but just wondered if 1.3 going into 1.2 would also be OK?

A

Anonymous

Just been browsing old posts looking for info about connecting sky hd to a tv with dvi and no hdmi connection.My LG rz37lz31 tv also only has one scart socket and no optical audio connection and is currently hooked up to a dvd recorder and cinema kit through a series of components and an amp switcher box so i can watch sky and watch dvds thru both cinema kit and dvd recorder thru sound system.As the hdmi to dvi lead only carries picture what is the best way of getting the sound (am i as well using component picture and sound rather than the hdmi to dvi)

TRENDING THREADS