admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
am i correct in thinking that upgrading to a sky hd box from my sky + box (without taking on the hd subscription)would give me the benifits of a HDMI connection making for picture improvements on sd channls and also could i recieve free to air hd channels on my standard subscription ?i understand i would not be able to recieve any other hd content until i take on the subscripion.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Well, it would, but £400 (the non-subscription price for a Sky HD box) is a lot of money for BBC HD and a marginally better picture.

I would wait for a Freesat PVR to arrive - they are likely to be under £250 and arrive around October/November, and you can then keep the sky+ for subscription SD channels. You will just need another two feeds from the dish, which any installer can give you.

A

Anonymous

was thinking of getting hd box from ebay or another source not dircect from sky have seen them for £150 mark with 12 month warranty.the main concern i had was if my sky card would still work ok in hd box without informing sky of change?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
brewiex1:
was thinking of getting hd box from ebay or another source not dircect from sky have seen them for £150 mark with 12 month warranty.the main concern i had was if my sky card would still work ok in hd box without informing sky of change?

you would still have to inform them for the card to work and you can get a box for 150 if you're a sky+ customer anyway.

...having said that, all that should come with a big "I think..." proviso.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

You def need to tell Sky that you have the box as you need to pair the card to the box.

You dont have to agree to pay the HD subs price though.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Cofnchtr:Hi,

You def need to tell Sky that you have the box as you need to pair the card to the box.

You dont have to agree to pay the HD subs price though.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

And thatd just get you the hdmi benefit?

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Yes - the HDMI is a type of connection and not just used for HD content. All video signals from the SKYHD box are sent down this cable.

To get Dolby Digital sound you could connect an optical cable to an appropriate source. There are also component outs for video and sound. I've connected to my amp via optical cable for DD surround.

HTH.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
indeed. cheers.

presumably itd also be handy if you got an LNB, you could have sky and freesat, so your (hypothetical) hdmi would be evnen more useful.

apologies for the interruption, im just blathering.

A

Anonymous

Cofnchtr:Hi, You def need to tell Sky that you have the box as you need to pair the card to the box. You dont have to agree to pay the HD subs price though. Cheers, Cofnchtr.

cheers for replies.can i just confirm if i will get free hd channels without taking on hd subs ?

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

A quote from the SKY www site:

Luxe TV HD, Channel 4 HD and BBC HD are available without any subscriptions. Channel 4 HD requires a valid viewing card. To experience the full benefits of Sky+ HD you will need a compatible HD Ready TV.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

thanks again for quick response think ill be ordering box today

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts