Sky HD dolby digital sound drop out

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Denon 1602 amp and Sky HD box connected with an optical lead with sound output set to Dolby D in the sound settings options of the sky box. The sound however drops out every second even though the amp displays it is receiving a dolby D signal. It works fine if I set the sky sound to normal but obviously this is then only pro logic.The amp works fine with the same lead using a DVD player and so is not faulty. Sky tells me it may be a conflict that happens somtimes with denon amps and only solution maybe to buy a new amp! Reading other forums it appears that it's quite a common problem and also affects other makes too (Yamaha and Onkyo) and is down to the fact Sky transmit a kind of pseudo dolby D signal to save bandwidth.If I do buy a new amp what guarantee is there that this will work? Can anyone help?

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I have a Yamaha RXV2500 and have never had this problem either. Do you get this problem on channels that are not in Dolby or only the Movie channels and Live sports that are in 5.1?

A

Anonymous

Sounds an interesting problem, and one I would like to be 'in the know' about before making the jump to SkyHD...

A

Anonymous

Yes i used to get sky HD sound drop out's with my pioneer vsx 2011 but ive had no issues with my onkyo 875.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Other channels that are not in dolby D are ok. Disney cinema magic is also ok as apparently Disney encode the sound and not sky. There are lots of posts on other forums about this Sky Dolby D problem.

A

Anonymous

I sometimes get sound drop out on my plasma tv for a period of anything from 2 to 20 seconds when watching HD channels, not sure if that could be related to your problem?

A

Anonymous

Sorry about the delay in replying. My sound drop out occurs continuously if the sky box is set to dolby digital. Just been told by Sky customer services that my Denon AVR1602 amp is on a list of 'incompatible' amps that conflict with the way that Sky transmits it's sound! It will not work and there will be no fix and the only solution is to buy a new amp that is not on this list - quite harsh don't you think especially as the amp works fine with every other piece of recent kit I've bought.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The existence of such a list is news to me... If the sound format is Dolby Digital it's Dolby Digital, surely?

Did they tell you where you can find this 'no-no' list?

A

Anonymous

Hello,

I thought I would add my 2 pence to this thread.

@ plivesey I am in exactly the same position as you. I received my Sky HD box today, connected it to my Denon 1602 via optical cable and set the Sky HD box 'Optical Output' setting to 'Digital'.

The sound on all but two of the HD channels drops out every 2-3 seconds.

The channels that don't drop out are BBC HD and Discovery HD.

Of the channels that do drop out, the on board display of the amp will show 'Pro Logic' for some and 'Dolby D' for others - possibly indicating that it can't accurately decode the incoming signal.

If I switch the 'Optical Output' setting on the Sky HD box back to 'Normal' - I have no sound issues with any of the HD channels via the optical cable (as you pointed out, this is Pro Logic)

To say it is frustrating as hell is an understatement, but I am glad it is not just me experiencing these issues. It would appear that many people (with differering amps) experience different levels of sound drop outs - some channels works, drop outs occur less frequently, etc.

If what you say is true (the amp is not compatible), then I will need to find another amp as well.

Oh well, at least the picture on the HD channels (when they are in HD) look pretty damn good.

Lee

A

Anonymous

It seems like a common prob here. Ive recently had sky hd fitted myself and to my amazement the sound drops out by some 20db on my Tag AV32R On contacting sky they told me to go to the HELP button on the remote and adjust the audio discription to ON

A

Anonymous

This is a well known problem, I think there is a list on the 'avforums' somewhere. It is due to the type of compression that they have used on the DD when they broadcast. Most newer amps appear to be OK but slightly older ones...it's hit or miss. I get the problem with my Onkyo TX-DS898.

I have contacted sky about this about 10 times since I received my SkyHD box when it was first released. Every time they firstly deny that the problem exists then after they realise that your not stupid and really know what you are talking about they put me through to someone in the technical department more senior. At this point they confirm that they are aware of the problem and are 'working on a solution'. But they have said this since skyhd release and there is no timescale for a resolution.

Personally I'm fed up of having a great system and HD picture but no Dolby Digital for my Sky. I am looking to upgrade my amp at the moment primarily because of this.

I just don't understand why this issue remains and Sky have never been tackled on it. There are literally thousands of people who get this issue.

Maybe one of the guys on this forum from WhayHiFi magazine can get an answer?

Regards, Phil.

A

Anonymous

Just to let you know:

Output from SkyHD set as 'normal' using optical is OK and you get Dolby Surround.

Setting the output to 'Dolby Digital' on SkyHD gives Dolby Digital for a few seconds then you start getting 1 second audio drop-outs at random intervals and it is unbearable to listen to.

A

Anonymous

Touch wood I dont have a problem but did with the Std SKY+ box previously.

Can't remember what I have my SKY HD box set to on the output - presume I would have set it to DIGITAL.

I do know that my amp decodes HD channels & Movies into DD where appropriate; so guessing it is set to DIGITAL?!

Amp is a 6 year old Yamaha RX-V520

Scally

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I've just bought a Yamaha 2500 sound bar. Intermittently, the sound drops out and it sounds like a portable radio for about 4 seconds then the full sound comes back on. I've got hdmi lead from sky box to tv and also an optical from Sky to sound bar but it hasn't fixed it The Sky settings for the sound are Dolby as opposed to normal. Any help please

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys.

It seems SKY are a rule unto their own but to me with so many channels to broadcast, no wonder they have to treat audio in such a way.

Any I've just read the whole thread. I know at one point that DD could not be passed through the HDMI cable from the SKY+HD boxes and that using optical or Coaxial was the only way to get the 5.1 from channels that broadcast it.

Have any of you tried:

1. to use a coaxial cable instead of the optical one (yes I know they should be exactly the same but strange things happen.)

2. I think it is now possible to send DD through the HDMI cable as when I was making some adjustments to mine a while ago and had taken my coaxial cable off the SKY box I'm pretty sure I was still getting DD to my amp through HDMI

GP

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
Yes, Sky HD has been outputting DD 5.1 over HDMI since more than a year now.

Cheers BB I thought that was the case but wasn't in the mood to find out.

There you go guys give the HDMI a try and see if that helps the problem with your amps.

GP

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts