Sky HD DD 5.1 problem

My Sky HD box is connected to Yamaha receiver via HDMI as well as optical cable. I'm not getting 5.1 audio.

I checked Sky help page:

http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/sky-hd/picture-problems/sound-problems/dolby-digital-sound-issues/

In the 2nd point (check the audio output), the picture shows options of "Digital audio output - optical" & "Digital audio output - HDMI", but I'm just getting the option of "Digital audio output".

I've confirmed that the connections are fine. I'm still only getting stereo sound via HDMI. When I disconnect the HDMI cable while a Sky HD movie is on, there is a distinct improvement in audio quality as then the only connection is optical. Obviously, there is no picture when HDMI cable is disconnected. This proves that I'm getting audio via HDMI.

How do I get audio through optical cable?

tbodsworth

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I think that page is for a different sky box to yours. I'm guessing you have sky + HD? That sky page is for a box with no recording function. (no +)

Have you set you receiver to use video via hdmi and audio via optical?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
tbodsworth said:
I think that page is for a different sky box to yours. I'm guessing you have sky + HD? That sky page is for a box with no recording function. (no +)

That's what happened me....had the audio set to hdmi (stereo only) by mistake. Strange if the settings haven't been touched though.

CnoEvil said:
tbodsworth said:

That's what happened me....had the audio set to hdmi (stereo only) by mistake. Strange if the settings haven't been touched though.

I'm not sure if the Pioneer engineers messed the settings up. I wasn't around every time they visited, except today. But today they didn't touch anything. I wasn't happy with the sound, so checked settings & found this.

The_Lhc said:
What you've said indicates that it's the amp that's ignoring the optical when HDMI is plugged in, rather than any issue with the Sky box.

I checked the settings of my Yamaha. How do I get the amp to accept audio via optical? ....Ooh, got an idea.....lemme try. Be right back!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts