Sky HD box - lip sync is out

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey,

We have a problem at home with our sky HD box, if we're watching normal (non-hd) then the lip sync is fine, but as soon as we switch too HD channeles the lip sync goes out, and each time we have to go to the audio settings (on the HD box) and change the audio delay too 200ms! We have a pioneer 50" (model is beyond me) and a DENON AVC-A1XV amp, B&W 5.1 surround system. Why is this, whats up, the HDMI leads are not cheap (£100+) and the optical leads aren't either. My thoery to it is the time it takes the amp to decode HDMI signals is longer than those of normal channel, therefor a delay is shown.

But we need it fixed lol, we've had 5 different sky box's and a new aerial, and still not fixed (the signal strength and quality is fine)

Thank you :)

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
I may be a bit confused, but if you are having to increase the audio delay for HD programmes is your amp not decoding the HD audio signal quicker than the SD signal? Or are you reducing the delay to 200ms from something higher. Presumably different amps/setups will decode at slightly different speeds, which is why Sky includes the digital delay option

Generally, poor lip synching is a frequent complaint about the Sky HD box. It is very possible that it is actually the transmission that is at fault.

A

Anonymous

That's a good point, but it's definately that we have to switch to 200ms on HD.

Hmm

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
NathanBrenn:
Hey,

We have a problem at home with our sky HD box, if we're watching normal (non-hd) then the lip sync is fine, but as soon as we switch too HD channeles the lip sync goes out, and each time we have to go to the audio settings (on the HD box) and change the audio delay too 200ms! We have a pioneer 50" (model is beyond me) and a DENON AVC-A1XV amp, B&W 5.1 surround system. Why is this, whats up, the HDMI leads are not cheap (£100+) and the optical leads aren't either. My thoery to it is the time it takes the amp to decode HDMI signals is longer than those of normal channel, therefor a delay is shown.

But we need it fixed lol, we've had 5 different sky box's and a new aerial, and still not fixed (the signal strength and quality is fine)

Thank you :)

Some HD channels and some SD channels will give you Dolby Digital 5.1 and the voices will come from your centre speaker. Normal 2 channel audio will be from your left and right. You don't get HD audio from Sky. I reckon that your problem might be the distance your centre speaker is set on your receiver. Try adjusting the distance from centre to listening and see if that helps. Also try watching the same film on both HD and SD (if it's broadcast in 5.1) and see if there is still a problem.

A

Anonymous

It is pretty common for modern televisions to take up so much processing time it impacts on lip-synch, which is why audio systems tend to have the ability to add delay. I would guess that the HD signal requires a lot more work than the freeview, but if you had the same delay playing HD games I would have thought that would intolerable! I would suggest a quick call in to your TV manufacturer to check whether that level of delay is normal.

A

Anonymous

I have the same problem. I've got expensive hdmi cables (Chord & QED) linking my SKY HD box to my Onkyo 605 receiver and receiver to the TV. I have a resonable optical lead (Monster) linking the SKY HD to the receiver. The lip sync is fine on Standard def but out on HD. It's really annoying. Was going to upgrade my optical cable in the hope that might work but I have my doubts.

A

Anonymous

This is a known problem, particularly with the new Pace boxes currently being installed. Pace are aware and emails from them say that Sky are working on the problem. For more info on this you might want to check out the Sky HD forum over at digitalspy. It's in the satellite section of Media Zone.

HTH

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts