Sky HD £10 Charge

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
With the recent announcement by the BBC about freeview going HD, has anybody heard any word about Sky wavering their £10 charge for their customers as it is becoming more accessible for free?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
devo18uk:With the recent announcement by the BBC about freeview going HD, has anybody heard any word about Sky wavering their £10 charge for their customers as it is becoming more accessible for free?

When it comes to money, Sky rarely wavers...

A

Anonymous

For me, it's not really worth the tenner for the non-premium content on there to be honest. A few showcase things on BBC and odd other channels. What they don't tell you is the amount of space the HD programmes take up on your HD box - immense!

Why on earth anyone would want to watch Big Brother in standard never mind HD is another matter.........

As Andrew states, they'll be last to drop the charge though.

daveh75

devo18uk:
With the recent announcement by the BBC about freeview going HD, has anybody heard any word about Sky wavering their £10 charge for their customers as it is becoming more accessible for free?

That's wishful thinking somewhat imo, firstly i doubt Sky would consider a possible 4 HD channels on Freeview as competition and secondly some of Sky's subscriptions packages are likely to be going up in september.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
I also reckon that if this whole Ofcom ruling ends up holding water and Sky is required to sell their premium content to other providers at regulated wholesale prices, what we will probably see is them lowering or maybe waving the £10 HD charge but differentiating the service in only offering their premium channels in HD on their proprietary platform. Look at the deal they've struck with Xbox 360, you can pay a subscription to watch Skymovies on Demand and Sky Sports channels over the internet but they have categorically stated that this will be exclusively SD and there are no future plans to offer HD content via this avenue.

As a Sky HD customer, the wealth of HD channels on the platform is excellent it's going to take a massive leap forward for the competitors to even offer a fraction of the Sky offering. They have gone the extra mile in securing exclusive rights for some top quality series on Sky1 and the wife and I consistently find some thing good on the Sky Movies HD channels. And at the end of the day there's no comparison for watching football in HD (if it is your cup of tea).

As with many things (especially things in our home theatres) if you never have it you could probably do without just fine, but once you get used to having it it would be sorely missed.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
devo18uk:With the recent announcement by the BBC about freeview going HD, has anybody heard any word about Sky wavering their £10 charge for their customers as it is becoming more accessible for free?

Oh I don't know, Sky+ used to cost £10 a month and they dropped that relatively quickly.

daveh75

the_lhc:Andrew Everard:

Oh I don't know, Sky+ used to cost £10 a month and they dropped that relatively quickly.

IIRC that depended on which package you were on

A

Anonymous

I've heard a rumour that once Sky bring out 3D viewing that this will replace the Sky HD charge so HD will be part of the normal package.

A

Anonymous

Sky subs go up every September and will again this year. Most people will see a £1 rise.

A

Anonymous

Yes they have, had notification last week with new sky mag price up in september and again in january when vat returns to 17.5%

A

Anonymous

Sky will charge it for as long as they can get away with it. If they have 1M subscribers that =£120M a year, ta very much, why would they drop it when there's no competitor, no-where else to go if you have a HD set and want a good choice of HD channels? freesat/virgin are hardly in the same game, evan if/when they're providing 6 or 7 HD channels thats still pretty weak compared to sky HD, more of a "HD pre-views/samplers" service rather than a serious competitor. I wouldn't be suprised if sky charged it for years untill HD becomes so commomplace they drop the £10 "discount" for the SD service...

fizban_UK

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
It does beg the question why Sky feel the need to charge £30 for installation if you already have a Sky+ box being replaced, when all that is needed is to disconnect one box and connect the other - i can do that myself as i doubt any Sky engineer will connect up to my receiver so i'd end changing connections anyway. Admittedly, they've dropped the price of a new box accordingly, but why when i already have a Sky+ multi-room subscription, should i be hit for £30, just so they can take one of my old boxes away and recycle it to another customer? It doesn't cost £30 to overnight courier the box to my house, just send me the box and i'll do it myself without thier engineers passing my details on to replacement warranty companies who bug you every 5 minutes to take out their "superior" service.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Carlito:I've heard a rumour that once Sky bring out 3D viewing that this will replace the Sky HD charge so HD will be part of the normal package.

I'll wait for the Sky Holodeck...

A

Anonymous

I cant wait for my 12 month contract to be finished then i can dump sky.

For the £27 a month im paying this is little on the HD channels that interest me.

I only subscribed to sky to watch the bike racing in HD then i find out they dont show all the motorcycle racing in HD, in fact they show very little of it on Eurosport HD.

I was subscribing to the real time channed for the fishing progs but it being summer i would rather get out fishing than sit in and watch it.

I reckoned with all the fishing progs i had recorded it would keep me going for a while.

Little did i know that once you drop a package you cannot view recorded progs that were in that package.

Yes roll on next march when i can tell em to ram it.

A

Anonymous

Tangerine dream:
I cant wait for my 12 month contract to be finished then i can dump sky.

For the £27 a month im paying this is little on the HD channels that interest me.

I only subscribed to sky to watch the bike racing in HD then i find out they dont show all the motorcycle racing in HD, in fact they show very little of it on Eurosport HD.

I was subscribing to the real time channed for the fishing progs but it being summer i would rather get out fishing than sit in and watch it.

I reckoned with all the fishing progs i had recorded it would keep me going for a while.

Little did i know that once you drop a package you cannot view recorded progs that were in that package.

Yes roll on next march when i can tell em to ram it.

Worth researching exactly what the feed is- I was expecting the beeb to push out the F1 in HD as I "knew" many countries already have this- but apparently, although F1 is filmed using HD equipment bernie won't let the TV companies have a HD feed, thus all the networks showing HD F1 are using upscalers! Are pro upscalers really much better than what a decent display comes with onboard today?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts