SKY Footie without a SKY package - how?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I like three things from my TV (or my computer): news, movies and sports. I am happy that I can get my fill of news and movies without having to use my Sky satellite. But what alternatives do I have for getting sports - given that most of it comes on Sky Sports 1 and 2 and ESPN? (Its footie that I cannot live without).

(I have no chance of cable but I could go back to terrestrial and I do have decent broadband - via copper, not fibre.)

Help please to get me off the treadmill with SKY.

RE Holman

idc

Sky have become far more active in preventing ways of getting their channels without using their services. They have actually joined with the police in targeting misuse of the system via the Communications Act 2003. Pubs and clubs are the main aim, particularly ones with known criminal connections. The fines are in the tens of thousands of pounds. But enquiries often lead back to individuals who do the installations for clubs and private persons then get into bother.

So if you are thinking of Sky via foreign service providers, it is a big risk.

daveh75

idc:So if you are thinking of Sky via foreign service providers, it is a big risk.Not if you're using a legitimate card for domestic use you're not...

Pubs get into trouble when they use domestic subcription cards in their premises. Or use 'Card sharing' to circumvent encryption which is what i assume you're talking about.

The 'Karen Murphy case' is finally being heard in the ECJ too, so things could change with regard to using foreign subs...

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/news.ma/article/88517

A

Anonymous

No, that is a new one on me and not one which I would consider.

I was hoping that someone would tell me that I can get all the SKY footie legitimately by subscribing to someone with a different delivery mechanism. (And cheaper than SKY).

For example, Virgin broadband seems to be saying that SKY (including SKY Sports) is available via broadband (over the BT-owned line). I was hoping that there would be a wireless system (Apple TV or Google TV) that would feed off the broadband and play an HD picture on my TV.

I am not an expert but, reading about the different parts, it seems there is a chance it would work. I am hoping that a techie will respond to my question with an explanation of what to buy (and maybe how to join it all up).

RE Holman

sc1

Sep 4, 2008
Visit site
Haven't they started showing sky sports 1 and 2 as well as ESPN on top up tv on freeview? I think it is about £20 a month for the 2 channels and you need a box that is compatible.

A

Anonymous

Tring Sports [16e / 60-90cm dish] has 80% of matches on each week but they arent in HD and the cost of 1 years subs is about £280 up front 90cm dish required until December then 60cm one will do once new satellite is in position.

VIASAT Sweden [4.8e / 1.2m dish] has almost every game in HD but 1 years subscription is near on £1,000 up front but this includes every 3pm game too but im not sure about English audio? Tring usually does though.

Abu Dhabi [7w / 2-3m Dish] offers the next package with all games in HD and its under £300 a year including the box.

www.liveonsat.com is a good site which states what games are on which channels each weekend.

BT i believe offers the cheapest package for Sky Sports 1 and 2 in SD but then some games can come on Sky Sports 3 which is a shame

daveh75

craigtumilty:
Tring Sports [16e / 60-90cm dish] has 80% of matches on each week but they arent in HD and the cost of 1 years subs is about £280 up front 90cm dish required until December then 60cm one will do once new satellite is in position. Only have rights for this season and unlikely they'll get them in the future - Picture quality is atrocious

VIASAT Sweden [4.8e / 1.2m dish] has almost every game in HD but 1 years subscription is near on £1,000 up front but this includes every 3pm game too but im not sure about English audio? Tring usually does though. English audio, but on the Nordic beams so upto 1.8m dish needed in some parts of the UK for the HD TPs, it's nearer £1300 for card/official paired receiver....

Abu Dhabi [7w / 2-3m Dish] offers the next package with all games in HD and its under £300 a year including the box. Very,very difficult to receive anywhere other than southern UK, even with 2.4m dish, Official paired receivers have weak tuners making it even harder to receive,,,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts