Siri - Not just a gimmick.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Having just upgraded to the 4s. I am amazed using Siri. For instance I say. "Say happy birthday to Xxxx" and it just sends a text to that person saying happy birthday. The voice rec on it is really good. I have speech/articulation difficulties (no tongue) and it understands me perfectly 90% of the time.

piper1st

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Thats brilliant Richard. My iphone 4S just arrived today, my first leap into the world of smart phones ... and love it. I think Siri will be brilliant for people who are blind, what a great bit of kit. :clap: I'm very lazy when it comes to texting, so i hope Siri will help me out loads!

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
A friend of my son has one and asked it "what is the weight of a fully laden swallow", it answered "Slightly more than an unladen swallow" which, whilst totally pointless, is actually rather clever I think.

I must confess that when I first heard about Siri my initial reaction was gimmick nothing more, but perhaps, as Richard has demonstrated, it will turn out to be a useful tool

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
ukdavej said:
A friend of my son has one and asked it "what is the weight of a fully laden swallow", it answered "Slightly more than an unladen swallow" which, whilst totally pointless, is actually rather clever I think.

I must confess that when I first heard about Siri my initial reaction was gimmick nothing more, but perhaps, as Richard has demonstrated, it will turn out to be a useful tool
If it doesn't answer "African or European?" I don't want one. Alternatively it could answer "I don't know" but then it would have to blow up.

A

Anonymous

Anything new won't be up to scratch straight away,but then again nothing perfect. Being a apple fan naturally I think it's great, apple has not let me down yet. But that aside i believe this is a start of Voice recognition as we know it. For know Siri is just integrated in to our iPhones, but I believe this is just the beginning. I reakon first it will hit our iPads possible ipad 3 then maybe iPod touch. Then apple would announce apple tv Siri if the rumours are true maybe even a actual apple tv with Siri integrated in it. But who knows what the future brings, one day maybe not far from know it could well be integrated in to our house 'cup of tea please Siri' oka maybe a little to far ahead lol

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Presenter: OK, I am holding a new iPhone 4S in my hand. This is the one that you can talk to, and it talks back. It's a program called Siri. So let's try this. I'm just going to hold it up to the microphone here and push a button.

Presenter: Siri, where do you come from?

Siri Software: I, Siri, was designed by Apple in California.

Presenter: Where were you manufactured?

Siri Software: I'm not allowed to say.

Presenter: Why?

Siri Software: Good question. Anything else I can do for you?

Now listen on...

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
It turns out Siri IS just a gimmick - and especially in the UK where the location based info doesn't work and Apple have no plans to add it http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/02/asa_ruling_siri_uk/

piper1st

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm still a great fan and use Siri quite a lot. Over winter, when i want to text some one when i have gloves on, or carrying a bag, its brilliant. I also use it to dictate reminders etc. I wouldn't be lost without it, but i would miss it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts