Sir John Tavener dies at 69

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
How sad! He was on Radio 4 only yesterday. A great composer of our times.

Chris

PS If you don't know his music the Isserlis perfromance of "The Protecting Veil" is outstanding.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
He had had indifferent health for half his life, he had had a stroke at the age of around 35, I believe. When I last saw him on television, a year or two ago, he certainly didn't look like a well man. I used to belong to a choir and we sang three of his works. Everyone talks about his Song for Athene, but I like better The Lamb and one work that I would quite like to be sung at my own funeral, the Funeral Ikos. Latterly composing had provided a welcome distraction from his constant pain, so it may be best for him that he has died. He will indeed be missed.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Whilst a name that I know, I am really not that familiar with his music, though I have heard one or two pieces, hymns I think

So I am rectifying that this morning, starting with the aforementioned 'The Protecting Veil'.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
I remember the powerful effect "The Whale" had on me in my teens, and I've been lucky enough to sing a few of his works in the past. A singular voice that really knew how to communicate with deceptively simple means, and who wrote simply some of the most beautiful music of our times. If you want an example of the spine-tingling effects he could produce, try "God is With Us" - you think it's an unaccompanied vocal piece until the organ enters towards the end to make you jump out of your seat. (Sorry - should have put a spoiler warning there :doh:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts