simple amp to connect passive speakers to airpot express?

nickholl

Sep 28, 2020
Visit site
Hi

my dad would like to stream music from his iphone to a pair of existing passive speakers that he has. Im thinking of using an AirPort Extreme but was wondering if there's a really basic amplifier I could get to attach the speakers to? I really don't want to use his existing amp as its a nightmare of cables and complications for him.

would anybody be able to recommend one?

many thanks
Nick

nickholl

Sep 28, 2020
Visit site
hi, yeah I know they no longer sell them, but you can pick them up on eBay quite cheap and they work quite well. Ive got one at mine linked to a couple of active speakers. I was hoping to do this quite cheaply, and was wondering if there was a reasonable cheap amplifier that would power his speakers

iMark

A second hand one will work just fine. I would recommend getting the last model, the one with a separate power cable, the A1392. This model can also be upgraded to support AirPlay 2. That was a nice touch by Apple.
https://support.apple.com/kb/SP651?locale=en_US

We've got ours linked to a Sony Mini system from 2000.

Yamaha do have some very decent integrated solutions, like the R-N303D. But if you already have a working system an Airport Express will do the job.

miketruman

Nov 1, 2020
Visit site
A simple solution would be to buy a Tangent Ampster BTII. Not very expensive (169 from Amazon). This streams on Bluetooth from the phone to a good quality and has the added advantage that it will (mostly) reconnect whenever it is needed. Also it can be hidden away as it has a remote sensor. A pair of speaker cables would be all that's needed. Hope that helps.

iMark

AirPlay streams at lossless CD quality. This sounds way better than Bluetooth.

Quite a few streaming providers have integrated solutions on amps like the ones from Yamaha. This means that the stereo network receivers streams directly from a provider like Spotify. You use the iPhone as a remote control. The iPhone doesn't do any streaming, thus saving battery power.

Reactions: Tinman1952

nickholl

Sep 28, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the replys. I was kind of hoping to find something like that Tangent but for less money, that i could just plug the airport express into.

Tinman1952

For less money than that you are really looking at Chinese amps. Try Amazon with search ‘SMSL amplifier’ and you will see some around £50 to £60. I’m sure you will be more than happy with the sound 👍

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts