Simple AirPlay System

Ashley

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking at buying a basic AirPlay system for the study, and am torn on which way to go. I could go down the toure of an AQ Audio A2 speaker for £140 odd, with the view to add another in the future. This is simple and easy to setup. It also has a small footprint. On the other hand, I could go for tthe more expensive option of active/powered speakers and an airport extreme. Maybe an Audioengine A2 setup or similar. I know less about this type of speaker and it would have a bigger footprint, but should be a better sounding system.

I don't particularly want a fully fledged micro/separates system. I like the idea of the active/powered speakers route, as it offers a bit more flexibility, but is more expensive. I'm hoping for your opinion on the above, and some other suggestions. Must be AirPlay for simplicity. budget £300 max.

Thanks,

Ashley

Ashley

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I think the audioengines are they way to go of the 2 suggestions I made. The ATV is in the living room so would have to get another, would the ATV be better than an airport express?

Juzzie Wuzzie

"Better" - probably equal - but all depends on your finances in a way as the AEX is +£20 on the ATV, plust the (say) +£30 cost of the DAC - so that option is total +£50 which may, or may not, be substantial to you. The upside to the ATV approach is the ATV does more (i.e. you could use with a second tv). One thing not to forget about the new AEX is that it has both a LAN and WAN port, so you can use it as a mini hub if required.

In my world, I'd go ATV every time ... but my finances allow that (touch wood).

daveh75

Ashley said:
I'm looking at buying a basic AirPlay system for the study, and am torn on which way to go. I could go down the toure of an AQ Audio A2 speaker for £140 odd, with the view to add another in the future. This is simple and easy to setup. It also has a small footprint. On the other hand, I could go for tthe more expensive option of active/powered speakers and an airport extreme. Maybe an Audioengine A2 setup or similar. I know less about this type of speaker and it would have a bigger footprint, but should be a better sounding system.

I don't particularly want a fully fledged micro/separates system. I like the idea of the active/powered speakers route, as it offers a bit more flexibility, but is more expensive. I'm hoping for your opinion on the above, and some other suggestions. Must be AirPlay for simplicity. budget £300 max.

Thanks,

Ashley

Actives don't have to be expensive.

I use Studiospares Seiwin 5As connected to a Sonos connect in my office. The sound quality and the build quality, for matter is far far better than their price tag suggests.

I've been so impressed by mine i've since bought a pair of their little brothers (Seiwin SN-4A) for the kitchen.

Either of these paired with an AEX will make for an excellent little setup, and all in you'll see change out of £200

http://www.studiospares.com/headphones+speakers/studio-monitors/icat/heastudiomonitors?sort=onhand&parentCategoryRef=heastudiomonitors&order=desc&q=*&brand=Studiospares

Ashley

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
So basically an AirPort Express and a pair of active/powered speakers all day long. Would it be worthwhile getting a DAC? It'll mostly be streaming spotify from my iPad/iPhone.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Ashley said:

Thanks,

Ashley

Actives don't have to be expensive.

I use Studiospares Seiwin 5As connected to a Sonos connect in my office. The sound quality and the build quality, for matter is far far better than their price tag suggests.

I've been so impressed by mine i've since bought a pair of their little brothers (Seiwin SN-4A) for the kitchen.

Either of these paired with an AEX will make for an excellent little setup, and all in you'll see change out of £200

http://www.studiospares.com/headphones+speakers/studio-monitors/icat/heastudiomonitors?sort=onhand&parentCategoryRef=heastudiomonitors&order=desc&q=*&brand=Studiospares

Agree entirely...... :clap:

The active speakers you mention make the Audio Engines sound fat and bloated, the 'warmth' that makes them quite attractive on initial listening quickly becomes tedious. I use an AEX with the tiny SN4a on the smaller Audio Engine desk stands and they are terrific for a desktop system.

In fact if the speakers are going on the desktop I would be wary of anything much bigger, the Fostex PM 0.4 is a prettier, slightly more expensive option and there may be others. If the speakers are going to be properly mounted on stands then a slightly bigger model with a 5 or 6 inch bass driver would give a bigger sound, not really recomended for desktop use though, the bass, reinforced by the desktop, would probably too much.

Have a browse through here......

http://www.studiospares.com/headphones+speakers/studio-monitors/icat/heastudiomonitors?sort=onhand&parentCategoryRef=heastudiomonitors&order=desc&q=*&perpage=10

daveh75

Ashley said:
So basically an AirPort Express and a pair of active/powered speakers all day long

IMO, yes

Would it be worthwhile getting a DAC? It'll mostly be streaming spotify from my iPad/iPhone.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

As I said, i'm using a Sonos Connect which is connected directly into the 5As, and i'm using a TV as pre-amp connected via the headphone out to the SN-4As in the kitchen and haven't felt the need to add a DAC to either.

I would personally try the AEX without, and you could always add a DAC later if you feel the need.

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I have an ipad and an iPhone so think its about time I get with the times, think ill order the fostex pm.4n speakers in white and an apple express for the kitchen.

TRENDING THREADS