Silver Anniversary XT - bright!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I just got some of this cable and connected to my Onkyo 875 I found it to be unbearably bright with all types of music. So much so that I've now ripped it all out and gone back to my old QED micro and the difference is amazing! Maybe not quite as much detail but sounds so much better. Guess the XT just doesn't suit the Onkyo. Anyone else found this to be the case? Didn't realise that different cables could have such a huge effect in this way. Course the place I got it has a no returns policy with custom length cable so thats £80 down the drain. Not too annoyed really just glad I still have the old stuff. So I guess the moral of the story is try before you buy.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
skyeken: Course the place I got it has a no returns policy with custom length cable so thats £80 down the drain. Not too annoyed really just glad I still have the old stuff.

Ebay sir - someone will snatch it off of you - probably for around £40-50...

A

Anonymous

fatboyslimfast:skyeken: Course the place I got it has a no returns policy with custom length cable so thats £80 down the drain. Not too annoyed really just glad I still have the old stuff.

Ebay sir - someone will snatch it off of you - probably for around £40-50...

Good idea, Thanks!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
skyeken:I just got some of this cable and connected to my Onkyo 875 I found it to be unbearably bright with all types of music. So much so that I've now ripped it all out and gone back to my old QED micro and the difference is amazing! Maybe not quite as much detail but sounds so much better. Guess the XT just doesn't suit the Onkyo. Anyone else found this to be the case? Didn't realise that different cables could have such a huge effect in this way. Course the place I got it has a no returns policy with custom length cable so thats £80 down the drain. Not too annoyed really just glad I still have the old stuff. So I guess the moral of the story is try before you buy.

I use QED S.A XT with my 875 and don't find a problem at all. Yes it is fast and detailed, but never tinny in my experience. Perhaps it's my MT-30s that temper the problem, or maybe the auto set-up has factored this in and has adjusted the settings accordingly. What speakers are you using?

If anything, when the volume dial goes clockwise, it's the bass that makes me reach for the remote! Not that I have an issue with it, but I don't want my neighbour thinking her chair has suddenly gained massage functions!

You're lucky it was £80. I paid over £200 for all my S.A XT!

A

Anonymous

Don't have a problem with my SA XT either.

Did you adjust your equaliser settings and trim the brightness out?
The 875 is very adjustable, also being new cable it will sound fuller when it burns in properly.

Make some adjustments and give it a couple of weeks to settle down and then see.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
All cables need a good 'run in' period (Particularly ones made of silver, or silver plated). My solid silver cables needed quite a bit of running in (months) before sounding at their best

In my experience, silver tends to sound very 'tinny' and 'bass light' to begin with, then goes through changes until it sounds awesome

A

Anonymous

Thanks folks. I'll maybe give the cable another chance then. I'm only using the Tannoy EFX 5.1 speakers which might explain things too. Planning on upgrading this week so will try the xt with whatever I get. I'll investigate the 875 settings and fiddle about with them too and see what happens.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts