Silence at 3 feet . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
New computer, still fighting it a bit! . . . ?cant live with em . . . trouble is, cant live without them these days either? Has all the knobs and whistles I want, amied squarly at photography and it seems to have some fancy sound card as well?

Listening to Spotify for the first time this morning, would it be my imagination or can a new computer make so much diferance in 'direct to amp' mode; 'Ethnet in, UPB out to DAC' phono cables to amp. Nothing differant to the old computer, I understand this by passes the computer electronics?

So why should it sound so much smoother, detailed and generaly easier on the ear?

The only thing that is differant, fan noise is dramaticaly reduced . . . 3 feet and the three fans are inaudiable . . . without music playing!!! On the very low fan noise alone, I can recomend the HP P6-2029.

Appologies to the 'word police' . . . not yet got a spell checker down loaded :type:

CJSF

Paul.

Pure guess work, but lower fan noise means more efficient components, which means lower power draw, which means a smaller transformer dirtying the signal path?

That would be my stab in the dark :)

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I've heard differences with different computers. So you're not mad or at least not alone!

It could be due to either the OS/Software (e.g. Windows 7 v XP) or the hardware itself (lots of possible factors, noise/isolation on the USB bus being one).

Best to just trust your ears than delve into all the reasons how/why etc!

The Mac mini 2011 is the best sounding of my computers, most of the others weren't much different.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
paradiziac said:
I've heard differences with different computers. So you're not mad or at least not alone!

It could be due to either the OS/Software (e.g. Windows 7 v XP) or the hardware itself (lots of possible factors, noise/isolation on the USB bus being one).

Best to just trust your ears than delve into all the reasons how/why etc!

The Mac mini 2011 is the best sounding of my computers, most of the others weren't much different.

OK gents, thanks, I certainly trust my ears, I'm enjoying what I am hearing . . . putting Spotify into a different light? Not put any music on for a week or more, its a real pleasure to listen to a few oldies, Slimm Whitman, Nat King Cole. I love these old 'simple' recordings, they are sounding even better . . . I dont know, the thought of snow outside has a very soperific affect . . .

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I've had Spotify running since 11.30 this morning . . . I know we must trust our ears??? but, when I start to think it is sounding better than it did first off this morning, I begin to doubt my sanity . . . this is a computer, set up to by pass most of its sound card electronics, all 1's and 0's . . . ?

However . . . :? is it the computer running in and imparting this improvement to the HRT DAC which is USB buss powered?

Sound quality is such that I'm begining to think . . . ?????????

CJSF

SteveR750

CJSF said:
I've had Spotify running since 11.30 this morning . . . I know we must trust our ears??? but, when I start to think it is sounding better than it did first off this morning, I begin to doubt my sanity . . . this is a computer, set up to by pass most of its sound card electronics, all 1's and 0's . . . ?

However . . . :? is it the computer running in and imparting this improvement to the HRT DAC which is USB buss powered?

CJSF

Ah but bits are just bits innit.

Never underestimate the power of Windows interference, and the accuracy of a clock. W7 will resample the spotify output which is dependant on the hardward in your PC. Bypassing windows mixer is the key; I don't know if you can set up spotify to do this (or whther it's worth doing at low bit rate audio anyway)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

Ah but bits are just bits innit.

Never underestimate the power of Windows interference, and the accuracy of a clock. W7 will resample the spotify output which is dependant on the hardward in your PC. Bypassing windows mixer is the key; I don't know if you can set up spotify to do this (or whther it's worth doing at low bit rate audio anyway)

When I orinaly set the Spotify/Computer thing up, I thought I was told on here, plug in the USB lead that feeds the DAC and it will by pass any potential computer interfearance, the 3.5 output jack being bypassed? Thats what I thought I was told? Days of XP, now we are on Windows 7 . . . are things diferent SteveR750?

As you say, is it worth it, especialy as its not half bad, considering I dont expect to much from Spotify? But how would this affect quality downloads?

CJSF

SteveR750

CJ, you need to browse the computer audio forum pages, they will help guide you to working out how to best set up your pc. There are several bits of software you can buy very easily over the net that can transform your PC into a very high quality digital source, one that can hold its own with some serious kit. The best part is it's flexible; hi res, Blu ray; one device can play the lot. Bit like a ps, but customisable (aka tweakeable).

Listen to cnoevil, he has some interesting experience with high quality streaming at the next level. A PC can be fantastic, but they are noily (externally due to fan noise and electronnically because of RFI from the psu).

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
CJSF said:

CJSF

Errr...dunno about that!

I think this thread is a good example of just how complicated computer audio can be. Which is kind of a bad thing considering that the point of listening to music is just to wack some tunes on and relax rather than worry about lots of geekystuff. Anyways...

Despite the popular conceptions that "bits are bits", there's a lot of stuff going on inside a computer (hardware and software) that can affect the sound (which after alll was not designed for high quality audio playback). If you Google "welll tempered computer" there's a lot of good advice on that site.

One thing to check is the settings in Windows Control Panel of your USB audio device, have you set it to upsample? Upsampling could either be better or worse depending on your DAC. Upsampling in Windows 7 is better than that in XP, that could be one difference between old/new set up.

Spotify Premium is potentially every bit as good as CD. I doubt many people have the ears/system to distinguish high quality Oggvorbis at 320kbps (used by Spotify) and the lossless rip in reality. TBH, I even struggle between standard and high quality Spotify! But one reason something like Spotify could sound worse than CD is the way the Spotify software interacts with the computer OS.

The Spotify software on Windows isn't as good as it could be in terms of SQ. There's a very interesting piece of software called Fidelify

http://www.fidelify.net/

that bypasses some of the Windows processing. It improved things on my Win 7 notebook before it started to crash repeatedly, but it's very unstable and is currently being re-written. Anyway, after that, I had an accident with my Win 7 notebook and replaced it with a Mac mini which fortunately sounds better than even Win 7 + Fidelify ever did.

SteveR750

paradiziac said:
Errr...dunno about that!

I think this thread is a good example of just how complicated computer audio can be. Which is kind of a bad thing considering that the point of listening to music is just to wack some tunes on and relax rather than worry about lots of geekystuff. Anyways...

Despite the popular conceptions that "bits are bits", there's a lot of stuff going on inside a computer (hardware and software) that can affect the sound (which after alll was not designed for high quality audio playback). If you Google "welll tempered computer" there's a lot of good advice on that site.

One thing to check is the settings in Windows Control Panel of your USB audio device, have you set it to upsample? Upsampling could either be better or worse depending on your DAC. Upsampling in Windows 7 is better than that in XP, that could be one difference between old/new set up.

Spotify Premium is potentially every bit as good as CD. I doubt many people have the ears/system to distinguish high quality Oggvorbis at 320kbps (used by Spotify) and the lossless rip in reality. TBH, I even struggle between standard and high quality Spotify! But one reason something like Spotify could sound worse than CD is the way the Spotify software interacts with the computer OS.

The Spotify software on Windows isn't as good as it could be in terms of SQ. There's a very interesting piece of software called Fidelify

http://www.fidelify.net/

that bypasses some of the Windows processing. It improved things on my Win 7 notebook before it started to crash repeatedly, but it's very unstable and is currently being re-written. Anyway, after that, I had an accident with my Win 7 notebook and replaced it with a Mac mini which fortunately sounds better than even Win 7 + Fidelify ever did.

yes again :)

and again :)

and thrice possibly :)

The best bit of advice is read well tem[pered computer - there are links to the suppliers of audiophile streaming programmes. I use J River, but it's one of several that do mostly the same thing: attempt bit perfect data out of your spdif / USB output. Remember that the device at the other end has to interpret the timing of the data sent to it, which is where the bits is bits theory falls over. It's possible that a poorly sampled lossy file (such as spotify) sounds less compromised than a hi-res track ruined by excessive jitter. Jitter; one day it will become as big as cable burn in....

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I find it very confusing . . . my dyslexic brain just cant cope convetionaly. However diging into 'sound devices' in Contol Panel, brought up 'Music Streamer II' as the enabled device? As far as I know my HRT DAC 'Music Streamer II' does not have any drivers? However, when my indipendant computer man who set up this new computer, he insisted on having the DAC as well . . . he is into music too? So maybe there is more to this than meets the eye, I will ask, we are having a meeting in the week.

I cant explain it other than as I have said, Spotify Unlimited is doing the busines for me as a relaxing back ground listen.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Cant keep away from 'computer/Spotify' . . . had it running since 12.30 . . . It has such a laid back sound, yet detail and presence are there, solid. Sitting at the computer, speaker either side like giant headphones, the sound and image is beguiling, an ear stroking experiance . . . True, music chosed is very laid back, this afternoon, some classical music, selected Spotify recomendations. For the past 90 minuites I've been listening to Leonard Cohen, not everyones cup of tea . . . However, I find more recent Cohen performances most enjoyable. Leonard Cohen albums: 'Old Ideas' and 'Live in London', realy great music to chill to, musical performance with presence.

I think if I had come across this sound in my early days in this, my second life of hifi, I might not have moved into vinyl, analogue? Thats a statement I never thought I would say, especialy in front of the forum . . . could have saved a lot of time, money and frustation.

Begs the question, where now . . . ? I think I have the best of both worlds. I nailed my vinyl sound, moved onto digital, more by luck than judjment, one has stumbled onto the very satisfying sound I am experiencing at this moment as I type . . . I think its a most exquisitly played valalica, the song; 'the Gypsy's Wife' . . . I am part of an amazing sound stage which I feel as though I am sitting in the middle of? . . . and yet, if I move onto the normal listenig position on the sofa, one enjoys a soud stage of excelent proportions.

Where now . . . no where, for a while, I'm simply wallowing in music, enjoying the experiance. Hazel is booked into hospital end of March, perfect timimng . . . 8)

CJSF

(Sorry spelling is so poor, need to download a spell checker).

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Well I had a word with my computer man about the way my computer hifi sounds and the fact that when I went into 'my computer' the 'HRT DAC' has a big green tick beside it, the sound card has a red cross?

He smilied impishley . . . "OK Justin, what you don"? I asked. He was once a part time roady and these days, puts in and overseas computer controled concert amplifier/video systemes in places like Wembly, contracted to do some of the Olimpics this year . . . He has instaled profesional sampling software on my computer? . . . "what you know and even more important, who you know" he said . . . "I can uninstall it if you want" . . . "no Justin, I will put up with it mate", says I . . . :dance:

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I hear what I hear . . . as the first post says, how much differance can a computer make? I picked up on the improved voiceing with out being told by Justin that he had made any changes. The software change was only confirmed when he came round Tuesday to tickle the 'email' setting on the computer.

We accept all sorts of things in our world of hifi, laugh at others . . . why? we changing one length of copper for a different length that costs a small fortune . . . claming a better sound? Why cant a computer change/software tweak have a desirable effect?

. . . I'm changing the computer monitor next week . . . cost an arm and a leg, but the anticipated improvement in the hifi will be worth it . . . 8)

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts