Shure SRH1540 or Mrspeakers Alpha Dog

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I'm looking for best Sub 600 headphones for late night listening experience, I currently own Hifiman HE500 and Sennheiser Momentums overear, I am also considering P7 and Oppo PM-3 but heard from different reviews they're not at same level as Shure and Dogs any advise? Listen to all sorts of music like tight and punchy bass, sparkling treble but not too harsh.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
NigelF said:
I'm looking for best Sub 600 headphones for late night listening experience, I currently own Hifiman HE500 and Sennheiser Momentums overear, I am also considering P7 and Oppo PM-3 but heard from different reviews they're not at same level as Shure and Dogs any advise? Listen to all sorts of music like tight and punchy bass, sparkling treble but not too harsh.

The Alpha Dog I owned had a steep rolloff above 9 khz, and while I don't have a chart on the 1540, it also lacked in the upper highs. The Shure 940 was too bright as was the 1440, the 1840 was pretty close to neutral, but the 1540 was just too limited. But I hear that some people like it a lot. I think it's better than the original Alpha Dog, but the $1000 Alpha Dog Plus is probably better.

Edit: Of course, there's the AQ Nighthawk....

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Dale for your feedback, I guess you mean Alpha prime which are on steep side of the price. I'm now considering either Oppo pm3 or b&w p7. As I also own Hifiman he500 and I guess none of the closedback will give me the sound of Hifiman.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
NigelF said:
Thanks Dale for your feedback, I guess you mean Alpha prime which are on steep side of the price. I'm now considering either Oppo pm3 or b&w p7. As I also own Hifiman he500 and I guess none of the closedback will give me the sound of Hifiman.

My Alpha Dog was not the Prime unfortunately, and I haven't heard any HiFiMan headphones so far. The P7 I would actually rate almost even with the LCD2, but where the LCD2 bass is tighter and more authoritative, the P7 mids and upper end (slightly darker) are a better choice I think.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Shure make average at best headphones but their in ear monitors are great.

I find them to have a veil to their sound.

Take a look at PSB M4U they are crackin cans for the money.

I own the AKG K550 and they are fab as they cost me less than a ton.

Check out Alessandro MS2i possibly the best headphones under £500 in my opinion.

TRENDING THREADS