Shure Cartridges

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The best 'Shure' is an Audio Technica AT440MLa (now the Shure V15 series is kaput) with a very similar stylus profile as the old V15MR.

The Shure M97XE gets good feedback and is cheaper.

Personally I would go for the AT440MLa from past experience of excellent AT cartridges.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
I have an M75 type 2 on my A&R XA turntable, very warm sounding but still very detailed especially in the midrange, highs are high and cymbals are nice and metallic sounding as opposed to splashy and spitty, tracking i feel could be better i tend to use mine at 1.5gms which holds together well but any lighter and it just sounds off. The M97XE is still available and is excellent for the money, some places doing them for about £75.00, the V 15 range are no longer avaialble but are great sounding and still have a big following today, all in all nice cartridges but are now getting expensive, even 2nd hand.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
gregory:I have an M75 type 2 on my A&R XA turntable, very warm sounding but still very detailed especially in the midrange, highs are high and cymbals are nice and metallic sounding as opposed to splashy and spitty, tracking i feel could be better i tend to use mine at 1.5gms which holds together well but any lighter and it just sounds off. The M97XE is still available and is excellent for the money, some places doing them for about £75.00, the V 15 range are no longer avaialble but are great sounding and still have a big following today, all in all nice cartridges but are now getting expensive, even 2nd hand.

I've got an M75 Type 2, as well. It's great across the board, but it's real strength is it's vocal reproduction. Even though it's on a lowly £300 TT, it beats my Rotel CDP, and that takes some doing. Readily available replacement stylii, too (£18, from Mantra audio).

A

Anonymous

I'd query the AT 440mla being similar as it's a lot brighter and more forward than I remember the Shures were. To me they were always laidback and, as Bretty says, particularly good with vocals.

However, I haven't heard a Shure for a long time.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi Bretty, i'm not so sure that they are OEM stylus's, the last i heard was that they come from Mexico, i could be wrong but for £18.00 is cheaper than the other site which sells them for about £27.00, just remembered, Musonic.

Thanks, guys - I love the ClearAudio, very accurate and detailed and certainly out-paces the price compatible Ortofon (model no. escapes me). I'm thinking about when the TT is upgraded and looking for something possibly better. With the exception of budget offerings, Shure reviews are hard to come by. The ClearAudio cost me £110 three years ago, noe the RRP is about £240...
emotion-42.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
gregory:Hi Bretty, i'm not so sure that they are OEM stylus's, the last i heard was that they come from Mexico, i could be wrong but for £18.00 is cheaper than the other site which sells them for about £27.00, just remembered, Musonic.

I believe they are OEM styli.

Web site HERE, if anyone's interested

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts