Show us yours

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Found a system that work beautifully? Proud of your hardware? Help the world... name your components, and tell everyone what you're planning to upgrade next...

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know why, to the best of my knowledge, What Hi-Fi? has never mentioned Living Voice loudspeakers, wonderful British speakers made in Nottinghamshire, and they do not feature in the Buyers' Guide? Could it be because the makers don't advertise with What Hi-Fi?, or am I just being cynical? Yes, Living Voice are upmarket but the magazine often features other makers' very expensive speakers.

I have been using a pair of Living Voice Avatars for several years now, originally priced at £2,500 but I got a great deal on an ex-demo pair from Kevin at Definitive Audio. I think they are utterly fantastic. I bi-amp them with a Roksan Caspian integrated amp and a Caspian power amp (not the latest M-series but plenty of power) and I also have the Caspian CD player, the earlier one with the "drawbridge" but upgraded internally to M-series standard.

The rest of my system includes a Roksan Caspian tuner and a 23-year-old Michell Syncro turntable which still works like a dream, with the Musical Fidelity X-Can headphone amp, X-LP phono amp and X-PSU power supply, all wired together with van den Hul inter-connects and speaker cables and Russ Andrews power leads. A few years ago I had an ex-BBC engineer to lunch and he told me he hadn't heard better quality sound in any studio.

Seeing as What Hi-Fi? seems to be unfamiliar with Living Voice speakers, they probably won't respond to my query, but I'll ask it anyway. I am given to understand that these speakers are best suited to valve amplifiers, being of high sensitivity. One dealer even told me that bi-amping them with a pair of 70-watt Roksans was totally OTT! Would folks agree and if you would recommend a valve amp, which one might be appropriate?

R Stockdill, Hertfordshire

A

Anonymous

I'll leave it to one of the reviewers to answer your question directly, Roy, but I will say one thing - no advertiser sways a What Hi-Fi? verdict on a product. I know, because I edited the magazine for five years... I waved goodbye to more advertiser pounds than I care to mention because the reviewing team told the truth. That was the case then, and it's the case now.

A

Anonymous

I have an Audiolab 8000CD , 8000S and Linn Keilidh system. I got it 9 years ago for my 30th birthday and it still sounds as good as when I first played it. Big Birthday next year, hinting for a Blu-Ray as we speak so fingers crossed.

A

Anonymous

Hi there

I got these:

Yamaha DSP-A595 (soon to be replaced, waiting for the RXV1800)

Separate FM tuner, Sony DVP-NS92 hooked up with Monster HDMI400, Panasonic ES15, DigitalTV, Sony MD Deck, iPod 30GB, Old Sony VCR and a Samsung 32R72B LCD screen (soon to be replaced by a bigger plasma, don't know wich one yet)

Mission M33, Mission M701, Mission Centre speaker.

Still looking for a great subwoofer... Any suggestions anyone?

Thinking about the panny 42PV700 plasma. Is this a good choice?

A

Anonymous

Any sub from Velodyne - I've got the CHT-12R and its phenomenal

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts