show demonstrations

U

unknown

has anybody attended a show demonstration of "super hi end"/expensive kit and thought it sounded crap ?

has anybody attended a product upgrade (any product) demo and not heard any difference ?

(more expensive kit should sound better, right ?)

thanks in advance for replies

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The problem is that when we attend a comparison event, we are listening in an alien environment. If it were held in our own listening rooms, I think we'd hear bigger differences as we know how our rooms sound, and we're more relaxed in them.

Again, if we heard these naff sounding high end systems in our own rooms, we'd probably think differently about them.

matthewpiano

Yep, Burmester at Hi-Fi World in Manchester earlier this year. It was bloomin awful sounding. Hard and tiring to listen to, though it might be wonderful in better acoustics.

I've always been extremely disappointed by every demo I've heard of Naim systems with their Ovator speakers too. On one occasion the all Naim system sounded quite poor after hearing T+A/Vienna Acoustics and Cyrus/Vienna Acoustics combinations immediately before.

T

the record spot

Not in shows but in shops. An all Naim setup, probably about £15k-worth. Another setup in a different place cane in all in at about £20k and again, not so great.

U

unknown

anybody else ? thought this question might top 500 replies !

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
The problem is that when we attend a comparison event, we are listening in an alien environment. If it were held in our own listening rooms, I think we'd hear bigger differences as we know how our rooms sound, and we're more relaxed in them.

Again, if we heard these naff sounding high end systems in our own rooms, we'd probably think differently about them.
So you absolutely saying there are no rubbish sounding high end systems or components..?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Native_bon said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

So you absolutely saying there are no rubbish sounding high end systems or components..?

This is where we have to be careful with words. "Rubbish"? No, I don't think there are any well matched, rubbish sounding systems out there. In general, high end products are well designed and use high quality components, so they shouldn't sound rubbish at all. Many people use the word "rubbish" to describe something they don't like the sound of (preference), or a product of a manufacturer they don't like for whatever reason, even if there is nothing wrong with the product at all.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Here is a thread I started on a "mini-show" which was funded by Focal / Naim, to raise their profile in NI:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/shows/belfast-show

I'm not sure the systems could be called "super hi-end", but a lot of them certainly weren't cheap. I wouldn't describe the sound as "rubbish", but it certainly didn't suit my ears.

The problems that hotel rooms often have, are usually to do with dodgy acoustics, and iffy power quality. There also can be issues if the kit hasn't been warmed up properly, or if dire music is played at mind-bending volumes.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Here is a thread I started on a "mini-show" which was funded by Focal / Naim, to raise their profile in NI:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/shows/belfast-show

I'm not sure the systems could be called "super hi-end", but a lot of them certainly weren't cheap. I wouldn't describe the sound as "rubbish", but it certainly didn't suit my ears.

The problems that hotel rooms often have, are usually to do with dodgy acoustics, and iffy power quality. There also can be issues if the kit hasn't been warmed up properly, or if dire music is played at mind-bending volumes.

I have 'done' many shows over the years as an exhibitor and the problems are immense particularly if you are trying to impress with a high end system.

I have documented my experiences with hotel mains power elsewhere but in addition I ended up coming to a couple of conclusions.

First of all in the 'normal' hotel room I always tried to use a smaller, more modest system. Given the size of the room this makes a lot of sense so the object was to set up what might well be an entry level system (for the brands concerned) and do so very carefully to give a good sound at a reasonably sensible price.

The second thing I tried was to do some sort of comparative demonstration, usually formally and ticketed. In this case the aim was to show comparative differences, not to try and impress with absolute quality. The trick though was to have something 'interesting' to demonstrate and concentrate peoples minds on what they were hearing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts