Should the tweeter move?

A

Anonymous

Well, the AE Neo 3 doesn't have a cover as such, obviously having the BR2's I would never notice thr tweeter move but am now wondering whether i should be seeing it move lol

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
hi fi newbie: Sorry if this is a stupid question but I notice the midrange and bass drivers are moving in and out but that the tweeter is completely static.

Well put it like this, the bass driver could be moving as little as 20 times a second, the midrange, maybe up to about a thousand times a second, whereas the tweeter is going to be moving upto and sometimes beyond 20,000 times every second, how good do you think your eyes would have to be to see that speed of movement, given also that the range of movement (in and out) is far smaller in a tweeter than it is in a woofer?

A

Anonymous

I hear what you are saying but the reason i asked, was i can hear voices through the mid range driver but nothing from the tweeter?

Messiah

Maybe you could disconnect the HF connections (I'm assuming they are bi-wireable) and see how it sounds. If there is a noticeable difference then your tweeters should be fine. If there is no difference then there is a problem.

A

Anonymous

Wouldn't you have thought my speakers would sound muffled though? because they don't

A

Anonymous

It's funny - last week I actually took the HF driver right off my Cresta 1 speaker and listened to some records like that. It sounded surprisingly good!! *ducks*

Much better than I anticipated - and these are just 2 way jobs don't forget. It had quite a retro sort of sound.

Sorry - carry on.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i don't think i have ever seen my tweeters move. don't worry about it.
emotion-21.gif

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
hi fi newbie:i can hear voices through the mid range driver but nothing from the tweeter?

That does seem worrying. So if you stick your ear an inch from the tweeters you get nothing at all from them?

You should get tizzy sounds from both tweeters. The above explanation of frequency of motion and low cone excursion needed at high frequenccies is correct. You shouldn't see them moving, but you should hear the result of their movement.

check your tweeter cable connections. Also check the interconnect to the high frequency amp if you're biamping.

If you still can't hear anything either both tweeters or crossovers or the high frequency amp of your biamp has died or a combination of the above.

Did they stop working after a high volume session or a rewiring session?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts