Should the Hi Fi fit the house, or the house the Hi Fi?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Following on a thread posted by eminent forum member, found myself pondering the subject.

For me, there's no question: the Hi Fi should fit the house, in fact it should fit the room. After all, a house is more than just a home for your stereo, and, in the end, it is only a hobby, and perhaps a minor one at that.

Or is it?

A

Anonymous

If you are into hifi and are looking for a new house or building one, the hifi's needs should play a part in the process. In choosing a house you might want a good-sized garden, or a small garden, or 5 bedrooms or 2. I consider having rear access wide enough for a decent sized motorcycle a considerable factor, and many people believe motorcycles are just a hobby and a minor one. They are of course wrong...

So if choosing choose with the hifi in mind - a good sized room with no party walls is a must, right? :D

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Huge dilemma! We're probably going to move house in the coming year, but I also want to replace the TV. As a purely stalling tactic, my wife is saying, "wait until we move as you don't know if it'll go with the new room." My view is we'll simply choose a house with a room that will take it. It's not like I'm looking at a behemoth of a screen or anything either!

T

the record spot

Fit the house, no question. If you're in the lucky position of having a new home built to your specification, then fill yer boots, otherwise, you're stuck with trying to make it all fit!

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
This is a real can of worms - I suspect the feelings of one partner in a relationship is often at odds with the other on this (!)

If you're fortunate enough to afford building an extension or moving to a house where there is a room you can have dedicated to hi-fi (ideally of the golden ratio) then go for it!

If you have to make the "house fit the hi-fi", you can opt for some level of room treatment to get any "non ideal" room, to include acoustic panels, sound traps, etc which can go a long way..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts