Should I Buy An Entire System or Just A Turntable?

AfxTwn

Dec 8, 2008
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am wondering whether I should be an entire new system (either an all-in-one or separates) or just a turntable and then connect it to my PC? The reason I'm asking is because I have started to buy a few vinyl records (mostly Aphex Twin to complete my collection of his stuff) but also, some albums are only available on vinyl and come with a download code (such as the new Thom Yorke album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes). I did used to have an old Sony all-in-one system which also had a turntable on top but it was massive and I hardly used it and so gave it away to a friend's son who would get more use out of it.

As I don't generally buy a lot of vinyl (I mostly buy CD's or downloads), I'm thinking perhaps it's better to just buy a turntable and connect it to my computer instead. I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface which is connected to a pair of M-Audio AV30 studio monitors. I also have an old Tascam M-06 mixer connected to the Scarlett as I make my own music, this has phono inputs so I could possibly connect the turntable to this or perhaps if the turntable has a USB output then direct to my PC?

I don't know what is the best route to go down. Due to not having a lot of space I tend to rip all my CD's to my computer for listening to as I have a pretty decent setup (along with a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones) and I quite like the idea of being able to record vinyl into my PC as well.

What would you guys recommend? I know budget may be an issue but I wouldn't want to spend more than £300 if possible, which is why I thought a single turntable might be the way to go.

Thanks for any help.

AfxTwn

Dec 8, 2008
Visit site
Would I be able to achieve the same thing with a cheaper turntable? I have seen an Audio Technica AT-LP60 USB for £114. I know it's only belt-driven and won't have a brilliant cartridge on it but seeing as I'll only be playing vinyl now and again, would this be good enough for what I want? I could connect it to the PC either by USB (although I have read that audio quality can be rubbish) or by RCA direct to my audio interface and/or mixer.

When I had my old Sony LBT-XB50 hi-fi, that had a belt-drive turntable and it sounded ok so I don't know if it's worth spending a fortune if I've only got a few records.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Just my opinion but I really don't see the point in your purchasing a turntable. By all means buy the vinyl to complete your collection, keep it in great condition and simply use the download codes to acquire digital versions to listen to and enjoy. Continue collecting vinyl as and when the inclination grabs you, then one day you may actually decide the time to right to invest properly in a reasonable turntable. Why invest in the Audio Technica AT-LP60 USB if by your own admission you believe the quality of replay when connected to your pc will be poor? Simply go straight to the digital source. Maybe I'm missing the point but seems like a senseless exercise and potential waste of money.

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Not every LP comes with its own digital version and if you get one, it will be an mp3.

On the other side, I agree with Mr. Lion above: you should wait a little longer or dig a little deeper in your pockets and buy something better like Project, Rega or Technics sl-1200 mk2 (I'd go with the Technics).

Enjoy*smile*

AfxTwn

Dec 8, 2008
Visit site
I think you are both right, perhaps it is a false economy to buy a turntable I will hardly use, especially seeing as a lot of vinyl's come with download codes anyway. When I meant connecting it to my PC might be lower quality, I meant by USB, if I use the usual RCA connection direct into my audio interface then I would imagine the quality will be fine.

I will perhaps save up some more and get something like the Pro-Ject but I'll see if I end up buying more vinyl or not first.

TRENDING THREADS