Should i buy a old used amp ?

Hi ,

I've almost finished my Hi-Fi system , the only thing that remains is the amp :D

So i am considering to buy an used NAD C370 or C372 which i got a great deal for , but there is something that

i am not sure of , is will it work as good that when it was new , or as good as a new amp ? The c370 is like 12 years old ,

if it was used relatively much , isn't there a chance it got ''tired'' and now sounds poor ? And are they lookly to have technical problems soon ?

Also , one little thing ;is there any chance that the c370 or the c372 breaks my speakers because the power of the amp is a lot bigger that the one the speaker accepts ?

Thanks a lot !

Andrei :)

Andrei Baicu said:
Hi ,

I've almost finished my Hi-Fi system , the only thing that remains is the amp :D

So i am considering to buy an used NAD C370 or C372 which i got a great deal for , but there is something that

i am not sure of , is will it work as good that when it was new , or as good as a new amp ? The c370 is like 12 years old ,

if it was used relatively much , isn't there a chance it got ''tired'' and now sounds poor ? And are they lookly to have technical problems soon ?

Also , one little thing ;is there any chance that the c370 or the c372 breaks my speakers because the power of the amp is a lot bigger that the one the speaker accepts ?

Thanks a lot !

Andrei :)

Firstly I doubt they will break your speakers, whatever they are as you don't say, underpowered amps are more likely to do the damage.

Twelve years old is not that old for a decent amp. Some amps appear to sound better with age.

Like all items they could develop problems but if you're buying cheaply what's the worry. Being played a lot is not likely to lead to more problems than normal for the age. Simple things like noisy volume pots can be easily rectified. NAD amps are usually solidly put together with good components and both of these were considered to be good buys at the time.

I'd say if you can get one for a very good price then give it a try. They are popular so if you feel it does not suit your system then sell it on.

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Why not old. I had a £600 Denon system. Tuner and amp. Tuner was DAB (so rubbish) and FM was not good. Replaced it with a £35 Pioneer 1970's receiver. Absolutely top quality FM reception and the amp is brilliant. 15 wpc BUT these are 1970's Japanese watts not feeble silcon chip rubbish. Can't fault it and £500 in pocket.. Nice light whow as well and beatifully made

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
The C370 was a very good amplifier one of NADs best and still is today.

These amplifiers are at an age where things do fail. I own 2 NAD amplifiers both from new both and of different vintage. I love them, but both have had problems.

The good thing with the C370 is it is very easy to repair/service. The NAD amps of that era use very generic components which are cheap and easy to source and replace. The electrolytic capacitors are the most likely components to require replacement. The amp usually gets stuck in protection mode which is one of the most common faults on this amp.

Other faults are usually dry solder joints connecting the RCA sockets to the PCB and dirty pots/switches. All easy to deal with.

matthewpiano

I'd go for it. NAD amps are superb, and the C370 or C372 will have ample current to really control your speakers and get the best out of them.

Biggest thing to remember is that these are big, powerful amps and they need adequate ventilation. It should be on its own shelf with plenty of ventilation space above it - don't stack other components on top of it.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The last thing I would ever buy second hand is NAD amp. Notorious to fail after warranty, especially from cold solder joints.

matthewpiano

There are plenty of older NAD amps around still giving good service. New NAD equipment in the UK now benefits from a 5 year warranty - more than most, and a good reflection of confidence in the product.

Since lead-free solder became a legal requirement dry solder joints are a risk with any ageing electronics. I've come across it with several makes including Pioneer, Marantz, Rotel, and Kenwood.

The positive is that solder joints are easily repairable.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Is that based on experience or anecdotal evidence?

I've owned a 3020 since 1990 & it hasn't missed a beat, I bought & sold a 3120 of the same era that is still working perfectly, however I also have a 3130 with a non working pre amp section, so based on my own experience more are reliable than aren't

Chaser

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I have 25 yrs old Pioneer A400, 20 yrs old Pioneer A300R Precision and a 10 yrs old Cyrus 8. All working perfectly and sounding fantastic.

so for me no prob with 'old' amps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts