Should I add 2 speakers or replace them?

And_X

May 9, 2024
Visit site
Hello everyone.

I have an AudioLab 8000LX amplifier (60W per channel 8ohm), and Bose Acoustimass 3 Series 5 2.1 speakers (10–100W, 4-8ohm). I use a DAC with bluetooth to listen to music through some mobile music platform. Although an old system, it gives me clear sound. But I feel the mids are missing. The subwoofer of the Acoustimass 3 series 5 shows what it should as the small satellites fill the space.

First question. Could I just add two speakers in parallel to the same amplifier so that they are placed back and fill the mids?

If not, could I replace the two satellite speakers with but two that provide highs and mids?

Thanks in advance.

gasolin

Could I just add two speakers in parallel to the same amplifier so that they are placed back and fill the mids?

Why the hell would you do that

Get some decent speakers

still small and compact mabye these Cambridge Minx Min 22 instead of the bose satelites not both spekaer,you might be okay using the subwoofer with the minx min 22

2024-05-09 15_55_40-Cambridge Minx Min 22 Højttaler – Google Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

DCarmi

The AudioLab 8000 series reviewed well and was on my wish list for ages but sadly never materialised.
The Bose speakers aren't that great. My feeling is to replace them. Don't add extra speakers, under any circumstance.

I'd find a friendly hi-fi dealer and see what speakers are available in your price range, preferably with some stands. Changing the speakers should make a huge difference, but seek advice and demo with your amp, if you can.

gasolin

If you live in uk

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hello everyone.

I have an AudioLab 8000LX amplifier (60W per channel 8ohm), and Bose Acoustimass 3 Series 5 2.1 speakers (10–100W, 4-8ohm). I use a DAC with bluetooth to listen to music through some mobile music platform. Although an old system, it gives me clear sound. But I feel the mids are missing. The subwoofer of the Acoustimass 3 series 5 shows what it should as the small satellites fill the space.

First question. Could I just add two speakers in parallel to the same amplifier so that they are placed back and fill the mids?

If not, could I replace the two satellite speakers with but two that provide highs and mids?

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

regarding the amp you are a lucky guy. Audiolab 8000LX is a real AMP. This is solid base on which you may build very good HiFi system. Yes, it is more analytical, has slam, has power, quick and transparent sound and very good soundstaging. But...

But to let this amp shine, you need really good speakers and also cables, lets say 500-690 eur for bookshelfs or up to 1000 Eur for floorstanders + very good speaker cable (200-250eur for 2x2m). Avoid analytical sounding speakers like last gen of B&W 600. Better for sure will be e.g. Focal Chorus or Q Acoustics 3000. And such a good system need as good as possible source. Here I recommend to invest to get some good streamer, CD, turntable or what you wish. Bose set put on ebay and sell it. BR.

And_X

May 9, 2024
Visit site
Thanks guys for the response.
It's a good idea to sell the Acoustimass 3, and get something that performs better as it fills the space relative to what I have.
My ability to put in a set of expensive speakers is limited, that's why I reduce the possibility to €150, to see if there can be any option.
I have put good cables on the speakers as well as from the streamer to the amplifier. Of course not Hi-End, but they are especially good 1.5mm cables for 1.5 meters from the amplifier for example. Maybe also for a power cable, but again not €200, something cheaper.

DCarmi

Don't worry about cables. Put your resources into getting the best speakers you can sensibly afford. It may be you need to wait and save.

You are obviously somewhere in Europe, so I can't really suggest where to look but I think scouting around some dealers and looking at reviews might be a good place to start. You probably want to avoid bright sounding speakers because your amp, good as it is, is quite clinical.

Another option might be to look at the second hand market. There is always a risk there but you can get decent bargains, if you are careful.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Thanks guys for the response.
It's a good idea to sell the Acoustimass 3, and get something that performs better as it fills the space relative to what I have.
My ability to put in a set of expensive speakers is limited, that's why I reduce the possibility to €150, to see if there can be any option.
I have put good cables on the speakers as well as from the streamer to the amplifier. Of course not Hi-End, but they are especially good 1.5mm cables for 1.5 meters from the amplifier for example. Maybe also for a power cable, but again not €200, something cheaper.
Get some second hand mission 700's like the below 20-30 quid all day, if you want cable get some QED 79strand 7 quid for a 5meter real. Job done will sound fantastic

You may want to budget for speaker stands somthing like this will do the trick

Reactions: And_X

And_X

May 9, 2024
Visit site
twinkletoes I find your suggestion very good. The speaker stands with the Mission 700 set are very good value. Unfortunately I'm not from England, but Belgium so with a search in Europe I found the speakers at three times the price.
Can you recommend 2-3 speakers like the Mission 700 that I can keep an eye on.
And upgrade speaker cable 2x2.5mm

Fandango Andy

twinkletoes I find your suggestion very good. The speaker stands with the Mission 700 set are very good value. Unfortunately I'm not from England, but Belgium so with a search in Europe I found the speakers at three times the price.
The mission 700 are a good shout. I have in the past hooked my old 701 to my father's Audiolab 8000A, it sounds incredible. Any of the mission 700 range would work well as would the M72

If you have a bigger budget anything derived from BBC monitors would be a good March, as would B&W 705.

For sub £300 new Q Accoustics 3030i and Triangle Bora

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Missions seem to have gone up a little in the past few years but they will pop up if you’re patient and in no particular rush.

But you could try looking for some

kef cresta 1 or 2 or even coda

Tannoy sixes or mercury

Wharfdale dimonds 8.1s

Denon scm51 (mission) these where sold as part of a midi system these are very good

Hope that helps

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Yes, replacing Bose boxes always works, but shop patiently.

I'm the proud and happy owner of the original Mission 700 (circa 1985 in Chicago) that still perform impressively, nearly daily. I will affirm the recommendation even if I've never heard another set ever, because they deserve it. Mine on the used market would be a great find. Truly; I regularly get offers or bequest requests from loved ones.

I've often wanted to try another set, just to see how they've matured.

Here's our host's review of another set you might want to consider and watch for: https://www.whathifi.com/mission/lx-2/review

Enjoy your browsing and lots of luck locating those lovely mids.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts