Shielded blu-ray cable?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can you buy better quality mains cables for blu-ray players or set top boxes ect. cant seem to find them for sale? Figure 8 connection i think they are called.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Ebay would be a good place to look since most of the larger cable manufacturers don't bother with fig 8 mains cables these days. If you want to use any mains cable you want, then you can actually buy fig 8 to IEC adaptors.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
This appears to be a decent example of a fig 8 cable, sensibly priced http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/24K-GOLD-Fig-8-mains-power-cable-Gold-MK-Duraplug-1m_W0QQitemZ200265631711QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item200265631711&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

A

Anonymous

There are some 'Merlin fig 8 mains cables' on ebay so check them out. that is what i would go for, or like mentioned before go for an 'iec' one and get a fig 8 iec adaptor then you could use the cable again for any newer upgrades in the future.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Russ Andrews have just introduced a Powerkord 8 , £59 for 1 metre , out of stock at momets but will be despathced within 2 weeks. I'm waiting for my first to turn up. Hate those Fuigure 8 to IEC adaptors.

A

Anonymous

bought a few direct from merlin, very happy from the performance.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I bought a solid silver custom built twisted figure 8 off ebay for about 35 quid which made quite a difference to my virgin box.

A

Anonymous

I take it if you replace the supplied lead with a nice new one the warranty is then void!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
eremis6:I take it if you replace the supplied lead with a nice new one the warranty is then void!

I'm guessing you're joking because of the ! at the end, but just in case, no, it's not
emotion-5.gif

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
Tear Drop:Ebay would be a good place to look since most of the larger cable manufacturers don't bother with fig 8 mains cables these days. If you want to use any mains cable you want, then you can actually buy fig 8 to IEC adaptors.

Hello everyone,

A standard Figure 8 connector is restrictive by its design and safety approvals. We cannot terminate with this connector since our cables are too large in diameter (both in terms of outer cable diameter and conductor diameter) and to do so would invalidate the safety approvals. We therefore offer a high quality IEC to Figure 8 Adaptor which works exceptionally well.

If you do purchase a power cable with a Figure 8 connector just ensure that it is terminated in accordance with its manufacturers guidelines and safety approvals.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Darren

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
If you want a well known make/brand then Clearer-Audio would be my choice, they have had good feedback on this forum, and there products are of the highest Qaulity, a freind of mine uses these adapters for Figure of-8 and woks very well.Here is a link, i do not have this make in my set up but can say they are a very good product. http://www.cleareraudio.com/onlinestore/Accessories.html

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
kena:
RA has recentlty added a 8 to his portfolio , anything that bypassess the iec to 8 converter must be an improvement

Hello Kena,

Components that use the Figure 8 connection draw a very low current and since the IEC to Figure 8 Adaptor is of such low inductance it will not affect performance. In fact there are advantages to using the adaptor namely that a good quality IEC plug will allow a higher specification cable to be used since you are not limited by the restrictions of the Figure 8 connector.

As always if unsure it is always best to try different solutions to see what you think.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Darren

A

Anonymous

I can vouch for the clearer audio cables, i use the copper alpha mains cables for all my kit including my sky hd box with the fig 8 adapter.

I find these cables amazing and a real difference can be seen and heard throughout the kit!

Darren at Clearer Audio is a spot on chap and has helped me in getting my cables to the size and spec that i needed, i would highly recomened these cables to all!

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
I have Clearer Audio HDMI's and am happy with them , Just feel that If an 8 to IEC adaptor can be avoided it surely is an improvement. I think the adaptor when used witha quality mains lead causes unnecessary strain on the connection point. I would assume also if RA has only just brought out a 8 cable he has presumably addressed the potential issues Darren mentions.

RobGardner

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
I have a basic Merlin figure 8 connector on my DVD player and there is a noticable all round improvement in output quality. The picture is sharper, the colours are denser, the sound is clearer. Its also worth upgrading the mains cable on your screen at the same time to get the full benefit. I have gone as far as upgrading the mains lead on my computer monitor with excellent results.

A

Anonymous

I bought the mains cables because of the whfi reviews and awards,

Praise where praise is due! the cables for the price are a steel! can't recomened them enough!

keep up the good work clearer audio.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
The point is Clearer don't do a fig 8 lead only the adaptor and going by the pic. its appears to be the same adaptor that RA sells (So both possibly buy it it in from some dare I be cynical a foreign supplier)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts