Sharing Front speakers for both HiFi and AV

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Yes, I know...I have already asked this but still confused :)
If I understood well, if I want to share my front speakers for both HiFi and AV I need to have an AV amp with a PreOut output
This way I can use the front speakers with my integrated HiFi amp when I listen to music and with the AV amp when I watch a film.
Question: This way the AV amp will act as PreAmp while the HiFi amp as Final amp (when listening to music), correct? Won't this compromise the sound quality in case of HiFi? I mean the Pre-amp part of an integrated HiFi amp is designed in a way to match the Final-amp part of the integrated HiFi amp and have the best performance....Can I trust the Preamp of an AV amp?
Or maybe I understood everything wrong which would not be a surprise :)
Is there any other solution for sharing the front speakers without compromising the HiFi sound quality? A switch box or something similar (just guessing)?
Final question: Shall the HiFi amp have some special feature (some PreOut output?) in order to use it in the "sharing front speakers" configuration above? Can my Cyrus One be used for such configuration?
Thanks for all your help!!!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Dennis Michos:
If I understood well, if I want to share my front speakers for both HiFi and AV I need to have an AV amp with a PreOut output
This way I can use the front speakers with my integrated HiFi amp when I listen to music and with the AV amp when I watch a film.
Question: This way the AV amp will act as PreAmp while the HiFi amp as Final amp (when listening to music), correct? Won't this compromise the sound quality in case of HiFi? I mean the Pre-amp part of an integrated HiFi amp is designed in a way to match the Final-amp part of the integrated HiFi amp and have the best performance....Can I trust the Preamp of an AV amp?
Is there any other solution for sharing the front speakers without compromising the HiFi sound quality? A switch box or something similar (just guessing)?
Final question: Shall the HiFi amp have some special feature (some PreOut output?) in order to use it in the "sharing front speakers" configuration above? Can my Cyrus One be used for such configuration?

When listening to music, you don't even need the receiver on. It's not connected to your stereo speakers.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Dennis Michos:

I just read your final question. All your stereo amp needs is a spare input (eg Tape, AUX, AV). You connect some RCA stereo interconnects from your receiver's pre outs (front left and right) to your stereo amp's spare input. Your front left and right speaker's speaker cable is connected to your stereo amp and your remaining (surround) speakers (including sub) are connected to your receiver. Once calibrated for cinema, you will need both amps turned on and your stereo amp set to the input you used (the spare one). And when listening to music, you use your stereo amp as normal.

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Does this mean that the sound quality listening to music only will not have any impact?
I am saying this because a shop owner was trying to explain to me that if I use the PreOut of the AV receiver connected to a AUX input of my stereo amp will then have two preamps involved......one preamp of the AV receiver and one preamp of the integrated stereo amp.....and as a result a worse sound quality.....
Is this wrong then, correct?
Maybe this is the case when I will be watching a film which is ok, right? I mean having the signal of the front speakers passed through 2 Preamps when I am watching a film does not matter much, right? Or also in this case No 2 Preamps are involved?
Thanks!!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Dennis Michos:
Does this mean that the sound quality listening to music only will not have any impact?
I am saying this because a shop owner was trying to explain to me that if I use the PreOut of the AV receiver connected to a AUX input of my stereo amp will then have two preamps involved......one preamp of the AV receiver and one preamp of the integrated stereo amp.....and as a result a worse sound quality.....
Is this wrong then, correct?
Maybe this is the case when I will be watching a film which is ok, right? I mean having the signal of the front speakers passed through 2 Preamps when I am watching a film does not matter much, right? Or also in this case No 2 Preamps are involved?
Thanks!!

Right, for music, you don't even need the receiver on - it will have no bearing whatsoever. Whoever told you the above, either misunderstood what you were saying or is just wrong.

For movies, I've not noticed any loss of quality and Mr E (who originally explained to me what to do) agrees that you don't lose out. I think you might be thinking that it's more complicated than it is. If you look at the stereo amp as part power amp rather than pre amp in the AV set up.

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks!!
I am happy I can use any integrated amp I want. I just have to be careful to choose an AV receiver with PreOut, correct?
I supopse it is a bit tricky when watching films as you have two volumes to balance but then you probably get used to it :)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Dennis Michos:
Thanks!!
I am happy I can use any integrated amp I want. I just have to be careful to choose an AV receiver with PreOut, correct?
I supopse it is a bit tricky when watching films as you have two volumes to balance but then you probably get used to it :)

Once you slot in your dvd or whatever, and have your stereo amp at the calibrated volume (12 o'clock easy to remember), you only need one control.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts