SetuP Advice Please - Sony 40W4500, Onkyo 606, PS3 etc

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have the following;

Sony 40W4500, Sony PS3, Onkyo 606, Onkyo DVD Player, Wii, Sky HD & a full set of KEF IQ Speakers.

Currently everything is plugged into the Onkyo 606 and then through HDMI to the TV and is working but I am wondering if I would be better plugging the PS3 Straight to the TV via HDMI and having optical Out only to the Onkyo? Same with Sky & DVD?

Thanks In Advance.

A

Anonymous

Your Current setup is correct Optical has a limited bandwidth. If you are playing a blu ray disk on the PS3 it decodes the Sound (Dolby True or DTS MA) and sends it to your PS3 as linear pcm which has a bandwidth up to 20 Mbps although the highest i have seen so far is 7Mbps but it will get higher in the future as sound from films improves. I Think Optical is limited to 1.5 Mbps were HDMI is least 30Mbps if not higher.

Messiah

liqdaddymac:
Hi,

I have the following;

Sony 40W4500, Sony PS3, Onkyo 606, Onkyo DVD Player, Wii, Sky HD & a full set of KEF IQ Speakers.

Currently everything is plugged into the Onkyo 606 and then through HDMI to the TV and is working but I am wondering if I would be better plugging the PS3 Straight to the TV via HDMI and having optical Out only to the Onkyo? Same with Sky & DVD?

Thanks In Advance.

I would leave the PS3 as it is or you will lose the ability to replay films with HD sound.

Is the Sky connected to the Onkyo via Optical as well as HDMI? As far as I am aware it needs to be connected via Optical to get full 5.1 sound.

Personally I would leave it connected the the amp but try it both ways and see which you prefer.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Personally I'd connect the sky hdmi direct to the tv. This way you can listen to the tv speakers (at times when you want to) without turning the amp on. Obviously still connect an optical cable from sky to the amp when you want DolbyD or beefed up 2 channel sound.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for the reply guys, My sky is HDMI & Optical.

So I am not losing any quality going through the AVR? (I have it set to automatic which seems to upscale my Wii to 1080i but lets the ps3 pass through at 1080p)

Cheers

Messiah

Well just try both and see what you prefer. May take a few minutes now but you can be happy with your decision once it has been done!!

(Personally I don't think you will lose any noticable quality)

TRENDING THREADS