Setting up a NAS system

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting myself a NAS set-up incorporating my Squeezebox Touch. As well as the SBT I have an Asus Nexus 7 tablet which I thought could be used to control whatever system I set-up. I currently have all my CD collection ripped as FLAC files on my PC (approx 500 GB), but I quite fancy the idea of being able to access these files without the need for the PC to be on constantly. My SBT currently works wirelessly to great effect and the router is in the same room. The PC will be sent packing upstairs out of the way.

With this in mind I'm wondering what NAS would you think offers best bang for buck, ease of use, reliability etc. There is so much info out there it is difficult to wade through it all. I just want the simplest system available. There seems to be quite a lot of people on here using Synology with good results, so would this be a good place to start?

Cheers

A NAS will suit your needs perfectly.

Check this thread which has a lot of useful pointers towards setting up Synology NAS.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/computer-based-music/nas-upgrade-question

And check this blog:

http://www.whathifi.com/blog/how-to-build-a-nas-to-store-your-music

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I've a Synology DS 213 2x3tb and very happy with the interface, very frendly user, don't know about QNAP thought... But i think if you stick with this two brands you can go rong!

The Synology have very nice apps to android, and ios gismos, i've a ipad and find it very easy work with them!

I used to have the SBServer running in the DS NAS, and the SBT via coax to Rega DAC, but had problems with bufering in hi-res 24/96 and 24/192 and some times the SBT app running in the ipad was veeeeeeeeery sloooooooow.

Reading some data in forums regardering connecting the NAS via USB to Rega DAC, I did the same, and with wonderful results, in terms of sound quality improving, more detailed and crisp, and with the QED USB it blow away the results compared to SBT!

The DS Audio app works like a charm and it provides you with the possibility of connecting with your NAS wherever you are!

For instance, this hollidays I'll be by the pool drinking Mojitos earing my tunes connecting the ipad to my old NAD 3020i and MA RS1.... It is your personal Cloud!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
if its any help i have just purchased a Synology Ds212j, very easy to set up and loads of apps available for it - DS Audio, iTunes server etc etc

I have got 2 x WD Red 1TB drives in it, set up as RAID1 - got about 300 albums on it, Time Machine back-up of my MacBookPro, a few 1080p movies and photos and not even used a quarter of the capacity.

francc

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
i highly recomend a Synology.

At home i have a Synology DS411J version. This is the "slower" version of the DS411+, the quicker, with bit more ram.

I use the 411j to watch 1080p movies and series on my Samsung tv. So, the J versions are quite quick for what they do.

Most of the time i am also moving some files from my laptop to the synology when i am watching a movie, without any interference.

And with the latest software of synology, at the time of writing, 4.2, you have load of apps for a load of options.

Depending how mutch you whana spend on the NAS, you can have one for a couple of 100 bucks, or more. Depending on how many disks you whant to use.

Dont forget, the quicker the disks are, the beter performance you will get.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I originally bought a Qnap NAS, spent 12 hours trying to set it up.

Contacted customer service who basically told me to read the manual. I re-packaged it and swapped it for a Dlink, set it up in 2 hours and had no trouble since.

Synology seem to get good reviews and I think someone mentioned you can use without a sb touch or sonos?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
skippy said:

Contacted customer service who basically told me to read the manual. I re-packaged it and swapped it for a Dlink, set it up in 2 hours and had no trouble since.

Synology seem to get good reviews and I think someone mentioned you can use without a sb touch or sonos?

Yes you can! I've got mine connected to my Rega DAC through a USB cable, and you can use the DS audio App running in a ithing or android phone or tablet to handle the NAS!

In my case i've got greater results than the SBT alone.

:cheers:

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
skippy said:

Yes you can! I've got mine connected to my Rega DAC through a USB cable, and you can use the DS audio App running in a ithing or android phone or tablet to handle the NAS!

+1.

Tacty

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
skippy said:

can you get a bitperfect sound in this combination? i'm looking for some nas as well, and would like to downsize number of boxes in my system...nas directly to dac seems like a good solution...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts