Set-Up

RussF

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
Hi folks, new to the turntable scene so be gentle with me! I’m looking to get a cheap set up so I can play some good trance music, old classics mainly. I’ve got my eye on a Project T1 turntable but I have no idea what I need to complete the set up. I.e what amp and speakers (also cheap as possible). I don’t want to be the guy with all the gear an no idea so I’m looking to start out cheap and upgrade in the future.
Im looking looking to be able to use headphones to listen as well as the speakers, and also possible use of connecting my iPhone to play music that way.
any suggestions for good components for me to look at would be appreciated. Please bear in mind I have no idea on tech specs so baby talk is good!!
thanks in advance 😊

RussF

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
Hi Russ, first question here will always be what is your budget ?

You will soon find it impossible to stick to but it will help with answers.
Hi there. Ok so as cheap as I can really. The turntable is £230 ish so I guess around the same for speakers and amp. So £6-700? That sound reasonable?

Reactions: sonic1
D

Deleted member 108165

We all started as all the gear no idea, some of us are still like it... especially me :)

Do you have a hi-fi retailer near you?

You'll need an amp with an internal a phono-stage to connect your TT to, plus you'll need a headphone socket on the amp, that should start narrowing it down nicely. There are new amps and speakers in your price range but I guess the best option would be secondhand as some great kit can be bought at reasonable prices if you are open to this approach.

Don't work very fast on here but I'm sure others will be along soon with some ideas, and I'll be back soon too. Be careful of upgradeitis it is a right b*gger to shake off once you've got it.

Last edited by a moderator:

RussF

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
Haha. Ok cool. Yeh there is a shop near me and I’ve tried to book a demo a couple of times to try out bits of equipment but they are useless and keep fobbing me off by saying they can’t get in the stuff. So I’m loosing faith in them and therefore wanting to see if I can get the stuff on my own. This just after advice on good choices. Would prefer to buy new stuff to be honest, more faith in knowing they may last longer and haven’t been mistreated. Maybe will have a look see if there is another shop local but I do t want to be fobbed off buying expensive gear.

scene

Hi RussF, as has been said, having a budget is good. You've got your eye on a turntable, and the project is a great one, so you're going to need an amp with a phono stage, or a separate phono stage, as the output from the turntable needs extra amplification compared to other sources. If you've got wired headphones, you'll want a headphone socket on the amp. If wireless you'll want Bluetooth.

The next questions are how big is the room you plan to put the system in and what sort of music due you listen to? The bigger the room the more sound you're going to need to fill it. Similarly if you like music with lots of bass (eg Rock/Metal), then you'll want speakers with decent size woofers, and in a large room maybe floorstanders. However if your in a small room listening to vocal music a pair of bookshelf speakers may be more suitable.

As DougK said secondhand is a good option, as you can pick up a system that would be well out of your budget if bought new. My first system was secondhand and was effectively half price of new and lasted me over 5years unchanged.

RussF

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
Ok that great thanks for the info guys, is appreciated. My music will be trance music, mostly 90’s stuff. I’ll have a browse about at the weekend when I have time and see what I can find out there. Thanks a lot

gasolin

Mission QX-2 has good sensitivity og very deep bass

Get as much power as you can because the speakers can handle alot of power and bass, look at yamaha.

Yamaha R-S202D, Yamaha R-S303D, Yamaha A-S501

gasolin

They don't have enough bass for the music you listen to and can be bright sounding which isn't that good when they doesn't have to much bass.

Very good price

Mabye a reciver with a sub out and crossower filter for the front speakers, a subwoofer and the Q Acoustics 3010i

RussF

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
Ok. Well any type of speaker will do doesn’t have to be Q just something someone said at work but he’s an enthusiast rather than a tech head lol. Would be pointless to get some crap speakers so I’m open to other makes.

scene

Ok. Well any type of speaker will do doesn’t have to be Q just something someone said at work but he’s an enthusiast rather than a tech head lol. Would be pointless to get some crap speakers so I’m open to other makes.
The Q-Acoustics are OK - I've got the Q3020i - newer version of the 3020 with a bit more bass and presence (and £70 more...) But not sure if they're right for what you're listening to. I like them, but I'm using them in my study, which is relatively not huge, and I don't have them massively loud while working.

I will agree with gasolin on this point and say you need more bass - if you're going to go for a speaker that small, you'd need a sub as well. Or go for a bigger speaker. How large is your room, and would you consider floor standing speakers?

Reactions: gasolin

RussF

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
The Q-Acoustics are OK - I've got the Q3020i - newer version of the 3020 with a bit more bass and presence (and £70 more...) But not sure if they're right for what you're listening to. I like them, but I'm using them in my study, which is relatively not huge, and I don't have them massively loud while working.

I will agree with gasolin on this point and say you need more bass - if you're going to go for a speaker that small, you'd need a sub as well. Or go for a bigger speaker. How large is your room, and would you consider floor standing speakers?
Hi folks, new to the turntable scene so be gentle with me! I’m looking to get a cheap set up so I can play some good trance music, old classics mainly. I’ve got my eye on a Project T1 turntable but I have no idea what I need to complete the set up. I.e what amp and speakers (also cheap as possible). I don’t want to be the guy with all the gear an no idea so I’m looking to start out cheap and upgrade in the future.
Im looking looking to be able to use headphones to listen as well as the speakers, and also possible use of connecting my iPhone to play music that way.
any suggestions for good components for me to look at would be appreciated. Please bear in mind I have no idea on tech specs so baby talk is good!!
thanks in advance 😊
hi mate
Yeh I’m ok with floor speakers, I think I’ll probably have it in my study also. Quite small room and carpeted, but I also would like to have it outside or in conservatory in summer with a new lol. Mostly will be inside tho so loudness isn’t too important as long as I can get a good clear sound with the right tones.

scene

For £500 you can get a pair of Q Acoustics 3050I they have very high sensitivity (92db) and more bass then the smaller bookshelf speaker

I did think this would be worth look at it, but rather sucks up the OP's budget... (Though I like the look of these :) )

gasolin

I did think this would be worth look at it, but rather sucks up the OP's budget... (Though I like the look of these :) )

I have a solution for that Q Acoustics 3050, £299 for a pair (great deal)

Reactions: scene

scene

Just to give a comparison Q Acoustics 3050i cost in denmark more than £700, for £299 you can only get a pair of 3020i but you can get it with some good speaker cable for £299
That's quite a difference in price! Decent enough speaker cable for that level of speaker isn't going to come to £130...

sonic1

Dec 27, 2019
Visit site
Haha. Ok cool. Yeh there is a shop near me and I’ve tried to book a demo a couple of times to try out bits of equipment but they are useless and keep fobbing me off by saying they can’t get in the stuff. So I’m loosing faith in them and therefore wanting to see if I can get the stuff on my own. This just after advice on good choices. Would prefer to buy new stuff to be honest, more faith in knowing they may last longer and haven’t been mistreated. Maybe will have a look see if there is another shop local but I do t want to be fobbed off buying expensive gear.
Don't be put off by second hand equipment, most of my stuff is nearly 20 years old, it is immaculate and I still have the box's, and when I have purchased second hand stuff I have found most of us are the same, our equipment gets more love than the Mrs :)

Reactions: insider9

gasolin

I newer suggested it, i just compared prices so if i where to buy Q Acoustics 3020i for £299 in Denmark i would have enough left for some good speaker cable.

OP can buy the Q Acoustics 3050 for £299 a pair an use what ever he currently use or Mission QX-2 what ever he prefers

D

Deleted member 108165

None of us on here are tech heads, (well some are but I'm not one of them), we are all just enthusiasts and owners who like sharing knowledge and assisting others in their pursuit of musical pleasure. None of us are in the pay of WHF.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts