Set up for HD sound

subseastu

Sep 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi all

Sorry if this is a daft question but I'm not sure if I'm getting HD sound through my amp. Basically I'm using a PS3 connected to a Yamaha RX-2065 amp that is powering my MA speakers. I've been flicking through the preset sound settings on the amp but I'm still not sure I'm getting the best sound available to me. What do I need to do, if anything on my PS3 and amp settings?

Cheers all

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
subseastu:
Hi all

Sorry if this is a daft question but I'm not sure if I'm getting HD sound through my amp. Basically I'm using a PS3 connected to a Yamaha RX-2065 amp that is powering my MA speakers. I've been flicking through the preset sound settings on the amp but I'm still not sure I'm getting the best sound available to me. What do I need to do, if anything on my PS3 and amp settings?

Cheers all

Connected via HDMI....................?

(I don't know the PS3, but this would be my first question, how connected to the Amp?)

dirtydean

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem. If you have a ps3 fat it will not bitstream hd sound full stop. I believe a ps3 slim will. If you go into the settings for the ps3 you can change the settings to bitstream. If you have the ps3 fat, search on you tube for ps3 settings and you will find a video showing you the best way to set you ps3 up. If you do want hd sound and have the fat you will just have to buy a new blu ray player as I am.
Hope this helps
Dean

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I don't think this is true.

Set your PS3 to decode the bitstream HD audio to LPCM, (this is what the amp does if it receives bitstream HD audio), and output it over HDMI. The amp should be capable of accepting this.

This is HD audio, it's just the PS3 decodes it and not the amp in this case, which can be beneficial.

both.of.me

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
dirtydean:I have the same problem. If you have a ps3 fat it will not bitstream hd sound full stop. I believe a ps3 slim will. If you go into the settings for the ps3 you can change the settings to bitstream. If you have the ps3 fat, search on you tube for ps3 settings and you will find a video showing you the best way to set you ps3 up. If you do want hd sound and have the fat you will just have to buy a new blu ray player as I am.Hope this helpsDean

you are correct the original ps3 will not output HD audio.

I have a ps3 slim as well which does output HD audio over hdmi

dirtydean

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
kinda:
I don't think this is true.

Set your PS3 to decode the bitstream HD audio to LPCM, (this is what the amp does if it receives bitstream HD audio), and output it over HDMI. The amp should be capable of accepting this.

This is HD audio, it's just the PS3 decodes it and not the amp in this case, which can be beneficial.

It will decode on LPCM but as I have spent a day trying to work this problem out my self found when the ps3 decodes it its not as good sound than if your amp receives it via bitstream which the ps3 fat can not do. I hooked my blu ray player which I have up stairs and it sounded 10 times better. In the ps3 settings when bitstream option is selected it dose not give the option for dts hd or dd hd. Search the internet and this will confirm the in the many ps3 forums.. If your not bothered about getting the best hd sound just switch to LPCM and save your money. Tip if you can borrow a blu ray player that has dd hd and dts hd and hear the difference for your self.

subseastu

Sep 12, 2007
Visit site
Conflicting opinions then. My PS3 is connected to my amp with a HDMI and it is the fat version. How can there be differences between PS3's.

dirtydean

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
subseastu:Conflicting opinions then. My PS3 is connected to my amp with a HDMI and it is the fat version. How can there be differences between PS3's.
The ps3 slim has a chip for sending dd hd and dts hd via bitsteam and the fat dose not. If you look at the ps3 box it has the dd hd and dts hd signs and the old fat box did not. Sorry if this is dissapointing but the way I look at it, its a excuse to get a new piece of kit. When I conectd my blu ray up not only was the sound better but the picture was as well have a look at the post I posted about ps3 to Cambridge audio blu ray player. Just click on my name.
Dean

subseastu

Sep 12, 2007
Visit site
dirtydean:subseastu:Conflicting opinions then. My PS3 is connected to my amp with a HDMI and it is the fat version. How can there be differences between PS3's. The ps3 slim has a chip for sending dd hd and dts hd via bitsteam and the fat dose not. If you look at the ps3 box it has the dd hd and dts hd signs and the old fat box did not. Sorry if this is dissapointing but the way I look at it, its a excuse to get a new piece of kit. When I conectd my blu ray up not only was the sound better but the picture was as well have a look at the post I posted about ps3 to Cambridge audio blu ray player. Just click on my name. Dean

******. Is there really such a noticable difference in sound and pic quality between the PS3 and a stand alone player. I'm concerned as there's been some posts on here recently about the lack of improvement in quality between the cheaper and more expensive players.

dirtydean

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
subseastu:
dirtydean:subseastu:Conflicting opinions then. My PS3 is connected to my amp with a HDMI and it is the fat version. How can there be differences between PS3's. The ps3 slim has a chip for sending dd hd and dts hd via bitsteam and the fat dose not. If you look at the ps3 box it has the dd hd and dts hd signs and the old fat box did not. Sorry if this is dissapointing but the way I look at it, its a excuse to get a new piece of kit. When I conectd my blu ray up not only was the sound better but the picture was as well have a look at the post I posted about ps3 to Cambridge audio blu ray player. Just click on my name. Dean

******. Is there really such a noticable difference in sound and pic quality between the PS3 and a stand alone player. I'm concerned as there's been some posts on here recently about the lack of improvement in quality between the cheaper and more expensive players.

You have to see it and hear it for yourself each person has there own opinion. Mine is that it dose but you may not notice any difference. The best way is to try and put a blu ray player on your kit and judge it for yourself.
Dean

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts