Servicing a TD124

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
:quest:

Hello all, some advice needed.

Yesterday I resurrected my Thorens TD124 back to use. It had been sitting unused for best part of 5 years in my study whilst I tinkered with other formats and turntables.

It started, but oh so slowly. A minute or so to come up to speed. I reckon a good service is needed. As I live in Wiltshire I’m looking for someone local (or as local as I can get) who could carry out this work. Any recommendations?

I found North West Analogue on the interweb, but wondered if there was anything closer to home. Neither driving to Preston or packaging up ‘my precious’ to send by courier appealed.

Can anyone help?

ian

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Why don't you just get a new belt and give it an oil change? Both cheap and very easy DIY. Assuming you also know how to check cartridge weight/alignment yourself there is probably nothing else you (or the TT) needs.

A

Anonymous

Capn' I figured that an oil change for the motor was called for, but thought you needed to drill out rivets etc to get to the motor bearings. Kind of put me off. Is there a simple way to do the oil?

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Ah, well I was talking about the spindle housing for the oil change, a lot of those Thorens motors are sealed units and so it would probably be easier just to get a new motor (plenty of cheap parts on ebay) if it is really knackered. Having said that, this page should tell you everything you need (and more) about care and maintainance issues: http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/td124page.html

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts