Server versus Streamer

dudleyperkins

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I want to rip my cd collection to my computer and buy any new albums, as downloads, in cd quality, (as a minium) or higher quality.

So which is best, NAS storage and a streamer or a server with built-in storage? I will be relying on a wireless connection between hi-fi and network.

Chris Firth

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Relying on a wireless connection is not something I'd recommend, so for that reason alone I'd suggest a server with built in storage.

That said, many people have no problems using Squeezboxes wirelessly, and it's the same with Sonos.

I get the occasional blip on the wirelessly connected Squeezebox Touch here, but generally it's reliable.

The wired Squeezebox Touch never misses a beat.

My files are on a NAS, wired to the network.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
nopiano said:
I've also had very reliable results from a secondhand Touch.?

You may have seen the recent articles stating the (ridiculous) ruling that we can no longer legally rip our own CDs. Expect some discounted rippers shortly!?
Don't hold your breath, it wasn't even legal for a year and yet those devices were on sale far earlier than that.

jjbomber

nopiano said:
You may have seen the recent articles stating the (ridiculous) ruling that we can no longer legally rip our own CDs. Expect some discounted rippers shortly!?

About as much use as the law that says motorists can only do 70 on the motorway. Or we need permission to record TV.

Chris Firth

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
nopiano said:
I've also had very reliable results from a secondhand Touch.

How long was it legal to rip our own CDs?

Only a couple of weeks (or so it seems)?

We're back in a state of wholesale public disobedience - I wouldn't lose any sleep over it *smile*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts