Sennheiser PX-100-II On-ear Stereo Headphone review

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
This is a long-existing headphone with a well-deserved reputation for sound quality -vs- size and cost, yet being open-back it is severely restricted in where it can be used. I had this in the closet for years due to the earpads being worn out, and taking it out a few days ago the earpads had actually turned to dust. So I ordered some new earpads and re-acquainted myself with the sound, which really surprised me. A big part of the surprise I figure is probably that the open-back design doesn't create resonance-based colorations the way most small closed portables do. http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4199

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Please help me choose between sennheiser px 100-II and philips shl3300. Two things that matter to me are sound clarity and comfort . I mostly listen to indie rock,indie folk and psychedelic music.

p.s. I am not an audiophile and I currently own sony mdr-xb30ex iem.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Spooky timing.

I bought another pair yesterday. (£30 in John Lewis.)

PX-100s (Original and Mk II) have been the headphone of choice in our house (for phones, tablets, PCs and laptops) for many years. We currently have five pairs between the four of us.

I really can't believe you wrote so much and conducted such a thorough test for my favourite "half-decent, semi-disposable*" headphones!

I don't think of such things as costing enough to merit a review. (If they sound ok and don't catch fire and last as long as their 2-year warranty then i'm good.)

*I once bought 4 pairs when JL had a special offer for £19.95 per pair.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
Spooky timing.

I bought another pair yesterday. (£30 in John Lewis.)

PX-100s (Original and Mk II) have been the headphone of choice in our house (for phones, tablets, PCs and laptops) for many years. We currently have five pairs between the four of us.

I really can't believe you wrote so much and conducted such a thorough test for my favourite "half-decent, semi-disposable*" headphones!

I don't think of such things as costing enough to merit a review. (If they sound ok and don't catch fire and last as long as their 2-year warranty then i'm good.)

*I once bought 4 pairs when JL had a special offer for £19.95 per pair.

There was no practical way to shortcut the review process, as my procedures are the same for any headphone. If I can determine ahead of time that the headphone won't EQ up to audiophile quality sound, presumably because some fundamental aspect of the headphone isn't up to it, then I don't do a review at all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts