Sennheiser HD485

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I'm after some advice - my gfriend is currently studying and keeps moaning about the thud of bass bouncing through the house and wants me to pick up a pair of headphones - anyone got a pair of the above been offered them for £40 quid or can offer any other suggestions - how good are headphones for a bit of listening? I've Got a pair of Goldring GX200 for my ipod but want something more comfortable for listening on sofa or in bed. With thanks

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
matengawhat:I'm after some advice - my gfriend is currently studying and keeps moaning about the thud of bass bouncing through the house and wants me to pick up a pair of headphones - anyone got a pair of the above been offered them for £40 quid or can offer any other suggestions - how good are headphones for a bit of listening? I've Got a pair of Goldring GX200 for my ipod but want something more comfortable for listening on sofa or in bed. With thanks

I have a pair (which I use for MP3 player duties nowadays)
I still rate them as a very decent set of headphones, and utterly perfect for portable player purposes. They are extremely comfortable, and easy to wear for long periods.
They also have a changeable cord (It is plugged into the body of the headphones(
£40 isn't too bad...

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
matengawhat:Are these good enough to be plugged in to my arcam or kandy amp - any chance of the amps been to powerful and destroying them?

Personally I would spend a little more for that use, but they are good enough, and your ears will be destroyed before the headphones!

(The HD595s I use now use for my main set are very very good, not quite on a par with the HD650s, but not a long way behind IMO)

*edit, and a bargain at just over £90 on Amazon.

Oh, and how good? Well the quality of a set of headphones like these is (IMO) on a par with speakers costing many many times as much, but then it is obviously a different listening experience.
However, I probably spend 80-90% of my listening through headphones, and 10-20 on my main system (not by choice, but family considerations etc)

*edit2... Checkout the headfi forums for a far more indepth (obsessive even) view on headphones...

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i intend to use them as little as possible - prob the odd hour here or there can't justify £130 quid as they won't be well used - might also end up using them with ipod as well - cheers for feedback

A

Anonymous

I would go for Senn HD555 which are similar to the HD595. They're £50 on Amazon. Goldring DR150s or Grado SR60s are alternatives. If its comfort your after then the Senns or Goldrings will be good choices. I think the HD555s are worth the extra £10-£15 over the 485s.

I've got the HD595s and I wear them more than my SR60s. The HD555 is a good all round headphone for all music types and should be just as comfy as the 595s.

matthewpiano

Sennheisers are great. I have HD477 and HD595 (opposite ends of the price spectrum) and both are excellent. I'm currently using Beyer Dynamic DT770PRO for most of my headphone listening because they are closed back and shut out the sound of the TV, which my better half is usually watching at these times. The Beyers are also superb.

A

Anonymous

I have two pairs of the Sennheiser HD485's and I love them. I also have Grado 125's, a pair of Beyer's and Sennheiser HD600's but I prefer to listen on the Sennheiser HD485's. The Grado's are terribly uncomfortable and the HD600's make your ear's really hot after a very short time. The Sennheiser HD485's are very comfortable and sound great for the money. If you don't intend on using them very often and if you travel at all why not consider some Sennheiser PXC 450's. They are a lot more expensive but sound good and handle the travel side too.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I have the HD595's and they are excellent for the price under £100 - but if usage is very low then it isnt that cost effective and i would agree with the 555's as being the best value for occasional use.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:Sennheisers are great. I have HD477 and HD595 (opposite ends of the price spectrum) and both are excellent. I'm currently using Beyer Dynamic DT770PRO for most of my headphone listening because they are closed back and shut out the sound of the TV, which my better half is usually watching at these times. The Beyers are also superb.

You see you have this the wrong way around. When I am headphone listening, and my missus is watching Oprah or some other US rubbish, I get her to use the HD485s, whilst I use my HD595s...perfect.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
matengawhat:i paid just less than £40 for a new set including shipping

I don't think you will be dissapointed. One thing they are is extremely comfortable (I cant recall how many times I have fallen asleep with them on, listening to some ambient stuff in bed late on)

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
well had them for a few days and so far impressed, good clean sound poss lack a little excitement at present but guess like anything they need running in! and they are def comfortable - don't think i will become a headphone convert though still love my big speakers - been off work today and spent most of it just chilling to music got very little done not the plan but good day!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts