Selling-up out of frustration!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Sold my Mission 794s last Autumn because there was just something I didn't like about the sound, and been using a set of borrowed MS 10i's ever since, with the intention of replacing them.

Theoretically the sale should have given me £250 towards a new set of speakers. I sold an old camera recently for a further £137.00. So that should have bumped my total to £387. But somehow I never see the money. Household bills and other expenditure just eats it away, like the £500 it cost me to get the daily car through its MOT (four new tyres and a n/s balljoint).

Think I've just resigned myself to the fact that there's always going to be something sapping my so-called speaker-money. I'm just never ever going to be able to buy a pair I'm happy with.

So might as well jack it in.

Think first to go will be the Marantz amp & CD player followed by the Cyrus and PSX, then the rest over a period of weeks. Will keep the Thorens for sentimentality reasons, but that will be it. First time in 35 years I will be officially HiFi-less.

Will still be able to stream my NAS to my computer, so not all is lost.

Humbug.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Sold my Mission 794s last Autumn because there was just something I didn't like about the sound, and been using a set of borrowed MS 10i's ever since, with the intention of replacing them.

Theoretically the sale should have given me £250 towards a new set of speakers. I sold an old camera recently for a further £137.00. So that should have bumped my total to £387. But somehow I never see the money. Household bills and other expenditure just eats it away, like the £500 it cost me to get the daily car through its MOT (four new tyres and a n/s balljoint).

Think I've just resigned myself to the fact that there's always going to be something sapping my so-called speaker-money. I'm just never ever going to be able to buy a pair I'm happy with.

So might as well jack it in.

Think first to go will be the Marantz amp & CD player followed by the Cyrus and PSX, then the rest over a period of weeks. Will keep the Thorens for sentimentality reasons, but that will be it. First time in 35 years I will be officially HiFi-less.

Will still be able to stream my NAS to my computer, so not all is lost.

Humbug.

That's a blow. Are you sure you need to go down this route? I've always loved music, and really miss my Hi-Fi (soon to be sorted). I'm thinking the time will come when you'll be buying it all again?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Flog the lot and use the money to get yourself an idiot proof enjoyable system like the Marantz MCR610 and partner it with some Q Acoustics or similar. Or get and AEX to stream from your computer and partner it with some actives.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Wife says i'm being too reactionary but I never listen to my HiFi any more because I don't want to listen to it without better speakers. I just look at it and see assets gathering dust which can be sold in order to pay some kind of bill which as sure as night follows day will sap my money.

The Thorens stays though. They'll have to pry it out of my cold dead fingers.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Wish I could Steve. Theoretically I should already be nearly £400 better off. But somehow it just gets consumed by more demanding expenditure.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear that Major. :(

I couldn't imagine being without music though, even if it was just a portable speaker plugged into a phone.

To keep some degree of high fidelity music replay availible maybe you could pick up a secondhand AEX and some budget second hand actives like some Studiospares or similar to tide you over until things (hopefully) improve.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Wish I could Steve. Theoretically I should already be nearly £400 better off. But somehow it just gets consumed by more demanding expenditure.

I know how you feel.

I was going to get a new camera and a new Mac Mini last week.

I bought the camera but last Monday morning the refrigerator part of our fridge / freezer died. So the Mac Mini is now a brand new Zanussi with extended 5 year cover from John Lewis.

Not happy.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I've been there. After my divorce I had to sell all my hifi.

Good thing is, just as money can drain, it can appear and there is so much hifi around, new and second hand, that you will not be without for to long I sincerely hope.

Not just that but it can be liberating to have a complete clear-out, especially if you're not 100% happy with what you have. Looking at some of the 'problems' folks seem to have on hifi forums, it makes me sometimes wonder whether it really is worth all the trouble (and money) for some.

Stay on here though, your posts always are interesting.

Perhaps I can start something here which helps you out in the interim; Whilst I don't have a spare amplifier I do have a completely refurbished and quite rare Sony front loading Direct Drive turntable with a new stylus. I don't use it that often and rather than selling it or let it collect dust you are welcome to have it (should you have to sell the Thorens ... which I hope you wont). The Sony sounds very nice. Collect or arrange the courier is all you'd have to do.

Perhaps there are others on here that can help out with something else?

regards

daveh75

I'm gonna use the a word.

But have you considered some budget actives?

My little Seiwin SN-4As for example are far better than their price would suggest or have any right to be tbh (even accounting for the fact they're bought in by the container load from Shanghai) and still never fail to impress.

With your PC as the source you could have a great little system for a little outlay (and unbeatable vfm)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
I bought the camera but last Monday morning the refrigerator part of our fridge / freezer died. So the Mac Mini is now a brand new Zanussi with extended 5 year cover from John Lewis.

Not happy.

The flat roof on our house gave up a few weeks ago and we've now got leaks in all five rooms upstairs so no upgrades for me for a while. No chance I'll sell the hifi unless I absolutely have to though.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
Stay on here though, your posts always are interesting.

+1

drummerman said:
Perhaps I can start something here which helps you out in the interim; Whilst I don't have a spare amplifier I do have a completely refurbished and quite rare Sony front loading Direct Drive turntable with a new stylus. I don't use it that often and rather than selling it or let it collect dust you are welcome to have it (should you have to sell the Thorens ... which I hope you wont). The Sony sounds very nice. Collect or arrange the courier is all you'd have to do.

regards

What a nice idea. Maybe we could have a whip round and cobble together a half decent system for him out of spare parts that people don't use.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the support guys.

daveh75 said:
I'm gonna use the a word.

But have you considered some budget actives?

Oh yes. Many times. I'm very open to that idea and have said for ages that if I really was to start again completely, I'd head down the actives route. I'm far too technically dumb to pitch any knowledgeable argument for or against them, its the simplicity which appeals to me.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:

regards

That's unbelievably generous, I'm overwhelmed. But now i've calmed down a bit I think I need to draw-out a plan.

And for a start, that plan will include the number one rule that any money I receive from selling HiFi will get spent on HiFi. Not something else which I don't directly feel the benefit from.

I will turn all this into something positive.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Crikey, what a shame Major!

Well I have been there, however you always go back, I did.

I think if I sold up now I would lose so much money, besides I dont think I could function without my 'rig'

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
And for a start, that plan will include the number one rule that any money I receive from selling HiFi will get spent on HiFi. Not something else which I don't directly feel the benefit from.

Glad to hear it. Imho, the best hifi purchase anyone can make is a pair of headphones. Rip all your CD's and sell them. Spotify is another essential for me.

If you'd like to go ahead with the table please mail JD and I'm sure he will pass the details on.

regards

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
MajorFubar said:

Rip all your CD's and sell them.

regards

Thats illegal.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks DM, not planning to sell the Thorens TT but your offer brought tears to my eyes. Sometimes people on here are just amazing.

Oh and you're right about the headphones. I have a pair of Senn RS180s plugged into my Mac which I will continue to use for listening my music in the short to medium term.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
simonlewis said:
drummerman said:
MajorFubar said:

Rip all your CD's and sell them.

regards

Thats illegal.

I think you've misunderstood

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts