Selling on speakers - Dali vs PMC

ovalball

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I was after some advice on selling speakers second hand.

I am about to buy a new set and for a variety of reasons I'm faced with a choice between the Dali Ikon 5 Mk2s or PMC GB1is.

Both are being offered to me at a reasonable discount however neither really offer precisely what I am looking for so I will be looking to upgrade within a year.

This being the case I wondered if anyone had an opinion (or experience) which could suggest which would be easier to shift further down the line. I'm imagining it would be the PMCs due to higher profile, better reviews etc. I actually prefer the PMCs myself but as they will be costing me about 40% more than the Dalis without offering a 40% improvement in sound I'm finding it hard to commit to them.

The dealer is of the opinion that the second hand market is dead, is he right?? Would the dalis be more saleable by virtue of their lower price in a tight market or does the PMC name still carry clout? Will the advent of the new PMC twenty range suggest the GB1s will be tumbling in price?

I realise that it is an insane move to buy a speaker that I'm not totally sold on but I need to make this choice asap so any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

matthewpiano

Do you not have some speakers you could live with until the right thing comes along? You will lose a significant amount of money whichever you go for so if you can avoid making a purchase now I would.

ovalball

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for response, unfortunately I don't have a current set, hence the need to make a decision. I'm thinking that from a purely financial point of view the dalis would lose me less due to lower purchase price but they seem to have a very low profile so I'm concerned I might struggle to sell them at all.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
PMCs are a safe bet, provided you don't pay RRP. The GB1is turn up often and usually sell fairly quickly from what I've seen. I'd say you could get 1k for 2 year old mint GB1is.

ovalball

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Densen b410 cd player and naim XS amp. The dalis's are fine but a little muddy, swallowing the sound a bit and not as open as I would like. The PMCs have greater clarity, are more open but seem to lack midrange and can be a bit too bright.

ovalball

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
My room is fairly sparse but the GB1s seem to be bright all by themselves. The dalis are failry lively but nowhere near as 'toppy' as the PMCs which seems to shift everything up the register. Dalis certainly have better midrange. As I've said above, my real concern is that regardless of their merits no one will actually be interested in the dalis due to low profile and a mixed review by What hifi some years ago.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Why not just buy used now then you'll lose next to nothing when you resell? Spending on new GB1i when you know you'll be selling within a year seems madness.

A

Anonymous

I would echo that view, buying second hand and keeping the speakers for a year is the best way to go. You can pick up much better speakers for the price, or pay less for ones that you would have bought new, and lose a lot less in the process. Assuming I keep the SCM40s on loan to me, something like my old EPOS ES14s or ES30s might see you through, not that I'm advertising they're for sale though *cough*, just giving a couple of examples of cheap old speakers that still sound pretty good and likely you'll end up losing nothing but postage.

All by #1 hifi is either ex-demo, second hand etc, as long as you know its condition before committing then you have everything to gain and nothing to lose except depreciation.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
6th Replicant

"Cor, I would! Screechin' 'orrors!"

Really, that does suprise me. I've had several amps with these speakers and the last thing I would say about them is that they are bright.

Might just be my ears, each to their own.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts