Seeking help from Hi-Fi doctors!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi!

Calling on all the HiFi expertise of these pages - I have recently bought a Marantz Hi-Fi separates system and am having a strange volume problem. A few times now, the volume has all of a sudden increased, as if I were turning it up on the remote control but without the volume control moving at all. Then the volume stays at its new level, and I have to turn it back down again. This has happened a handful of times, and I'm wondering if 1) the amp is faulty, 2) I've done something wrong with the cables or 3) there's another glitch somewhere? Would be more than grateful for a hand.

Marantz PM6002 plus CD6001 with Quad 11-L2 speakers and QED silver anniversary XT cables

A

Anonymous

Is this a sudden and definite shift, or is it more gradual? Previous kit that ive owned has warmed up in c.30 mins of listening and the sound becomes fuller and appears louder,

A

Anonymous

The sound does what you just described - it becomes fuller and louder. It's a gradual shift that takes 3-4 second I'd say, and then it stays at the new volume. Do you think this means the system's just 'warming up'? And will this keep happening - or will it stop once the system's been 'run in'? Seems strange to me if it keeps doing it.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Possibly a faulty amplifier, most likely the motorized volume pot. If its on cd replay only it could also be the digital volume control control going berserk on the player (if it has one).

Isolate the problem and bring it back for a replacement.

A

Anonymous

Thanks! But if it's the motorised volume, shouldn't the volume knob actually be moving up by itself as the volume increases? The knob stands still, though, and the volume doesn't keep increasing but comes to a stop at what sounds like a 'fuller'/louder level.

A

Anonymous

hifiphile:

The sound does what you just described - it becomes fuller and louder. It's a gradual shift that takes 3-4 second I'd say, and then it stays at the new volume. Do you think this means the system's just 'warming up'? And will this keep happening - or will it stop once the system's been 'run in'? Seems strange to me if it keeps doing it.

That sounds more like a fault to be fair. When some of my old components have done this in the past it has been over a larger timeframe. Almost like I realise it it louder than when I started playing and turn it down. I never noticed they exact time that it happend. Id get it changed

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Doubt it's the motorised pot control system, as you then see the volume knob moving. More likely either a fault in the volume potentiometer itself, or a component that's reacting to heat and making or breaking a contact.

Which amp is it? Might help work out what's happening if I knew.

But whatever, I'd take it back and swap it for a new one if it's relatively new, or call Marantz on 01753 860868 and talk to one of the tech guys there

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much for the replies! The amp is a Marantz PM-6002. So you don't think it's a problem with the cables then, or the amp needing some 'running in'? I'll return it if it's neither of those, but guess it's safe to keep the CD player (Marantz CD-6001)?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, I think it's a fault, and yes it's safe to keep the player as far as I can see. I'll drop you an email with a contact at Marantz who should be able to help you.

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
You suggest you think it make be due to "running in" - just to mention, my 6002 is quite new but has never done what you described.

A

Anonymous

The amp is new, it's covered by a warranty - just send it back and they will sort it for you. No point in worrying about it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the advice! Will bring it back for a replacement (it's less than a week old) or fixing...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all your help! Have exchanged it now - plus got new speakers (they were buzzing) - and haven't had the problem again! Knock wood...

Maybe I'm being over-sensitive now to any problems - it's also my first hifi system in a long while - but I seem to detect a bit of background noise in the new speakers when I play music; not much, so doubt it's a fault, but more than I think I noticed in the last pair of speakers. Could this be caused by any problems with cabling/stray wires etc? Or should I just not be worried? The speakers are the Quad 11-L2.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts